need your help for matching a rod for my abu garcia record reel

casting

I just got a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Record Reel RCN60HC with 50LB braided line, but i'm not sure what rod i should get to match this reel, i mostly fish for large/small mouth bass, sometimes for pike or muskie, so i'm thinking to get a Berkley Lightning Rod® IM6 Trigger 6ft 6in/7ft Medium heavy casting rod or Berkley Lightning Rod Shock Series superline Casting Rod medium heavy, btw what's superline?

What's your opinion about matching the rod ?

Thanks

Yes.....medium heavy fast action rod would be the way to go. There is a slight difference between the Lightning Rod and the Shock series of Lightning Rod.

To start out...."superlines" is the name for the lines made of spectra or dyneema. Power Pro, Tuff Line, etc etc and lines like Fireline. These are rather recent. The big difference with these lines is the fact that they have very little elasticity or stretch (approx 3 to 4 %). Monofilament and fluorocarbon lines have a lot of stretch....sometimes close to 30%. This means that with the newer lines, you don't have to really haul back hard when striking the fish. However, these newer lines with very little stretch also have a fault....they break if you snap them hard. The trick is to feel the fish load up on the rod and then haul back hard.

The "Shock" series of Berkley Lightning rod has a slightly more flexible tip but the strong part of the rod comes into use real quick. It's still a rather fast action rod with lots of backbone.

I love fast action rods but my budget is very slow action....lol. I bought a "Shock" 7 foot spinning rod, medium action for 15 to 30 lb Fireline or 4 to 12 lb mono the other day for jigging walleye with Fireline. I broke my main rod for this type of fishing last year on a pike. I was using a medium light Shimano Stimula 6 1/2 feet and I was missing walleye every now and then. With the "Shock" 7 foot rod.....no more missed walleye.....anyway, not like when I was using the Stimula. Anyway, you should be able to find a "Shock" rod for about 30 to 50 dollars. I paid 30 for mine at Canadian Tire. They may still be on sale.

However, a medium heavy rod is a bit light for musky. Same goes for the reel.

Edited by Dabluz