Help with Aurora Trout

Musky or Specks

I got one last year the same week you're going.

I've pasted an excerpt of my report from Nov/08;it may not be much help but it worked for me. :)

"By Thursday we’d caught numerous fish and I talked the guys into taking a walk into an Aurora lake. We found the lake easily and did try a few casts from shore, no hits but my interest was even higher in trying to catch one of these fish.

One of our crew agreed to go with me early Friday morning to give them a solid shot, and armed with oars for the small aluminum off we headed.

Our lines hit the water about 8:00. My friend using a small spinner, me a firetiger Little Cleo. I rowed slowely and as quiet as I could be while we trolled our hardware well behind the boat following the shoreline.

About 20 minutes after we started I had a hit-FISH ON!!!!!

It was a great fight-seemed to last forever as I was afraid my one shot at an Aurora might be lost with a thrown hook or broken line. Thankfully I landed the fish –a nice 19” female.

My fishing was done on this lake as the limit is one and there is no catch and release. Until noon I rowed around that small lake trying to get my buddy a fish as well but he never had a hit.

Unfortunately I don’t have many pictures from our trip as I forgot my camera-however I did borrow one before going for the Aurora Trout and have a picture of it."

Picture_002.jpg

Ahh i found my answer..

"There has been some confusion about NO CATCH & RELEASE. There are additional regulations pertaining to Aurora Trout under the Endangered Species Act. You are allowed to catch one (1) Aurora Trout and you have to keep it. There is no catch-&-release because of the high mortality rate of released fish. We can't have people catch-&-release 50 Aurora Trout in a day only to have half of them die. That would defeat the purpose of having any regulations in the first place. Aurora Trout are a deep-water fish, especially in August, but when brought to the surface, they don't burp out air like a Lake Trout. As a result, their internal organs get bruised or even rupture thus 50% of Aurora Trout would die if released. Also, you are catching them 50 feet deep in 50-degree water and then trying to release them in 85-degree water on the surface. They also suffer from temperature shock. "

My one and only Aurora trout outing, was not the most pleasent, with me having to cast from shore with a leg cast on for a few hours near Temagami. Not a sniff, while casting from the only spot that seemed friendly enough for some schmuck with a full cast on his leg. I want to go again..... and hopefully get to do something a bit more serious.

I have gotten to fish for golden trout, westslope cuthroats, Athabasca Rainbows (mini rainbows that are the only native rainbows on the east side of the Rockys), Nipigon brookies, and redbands. I thoroughly enjoy targetting unique subspecies.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

I got one last year the same week you're going.

I've pasted an excerpt of my report from Nov/08;it may not be much help but it worked for me. :)

"By Thursday we’d caught numerous fish and I talked the guys into taking a walk into an Aurora lake. We found the lake easily and did try a few casts from shore, no hits but my interest was even higher in trying to catch one of these fish.

One of our crew agreed to go with me early Friday morning to give them a solid shot, and armed with oars for the small aluminum off we headed.

Our lines hit the water about 8:00. My friend using a small spinner, me a firetiger Little Cleo. I rowed slowely and as quiet as I could be while we trolled our hardware well behind the boat following the shoreline.

About 20 minutes after we started I had a hit-FISH ON!!!!!

It was a great fight-seemed to last forever as I was afraid my one shot at an Aurora might be lost with a thrown hook or broken line. Thankfully I landed the fish –a nice 19” female.

My fishing was done on this lake as the limit is one and there is no catch and release. Until noon I rowed around that small lake trying to get my buddy a fish as well but he never had a hit.

Unfortunately I don’t have many pictures from our trip as I forgot my camera-however I did borrow one before going for the Aurora Trout and have a picture of it."

Picture_002.jpg

Do you mind if I ask which lake you were on last year. I'll be fishing Pallet which is open for 2009.BTW beautiful fish Edited by Musky or Specks

We were fishing Lake 21 between Shining Tree and Gowganda.

I get the stocking lists for the area we fish every year prior to our trip and noticed this year Lake 21 wasn't listed as having Auroras restocked.

As luck would have it coming home this past May;(we usually go in May but tried late Sept. last year) we were stopped just outside Elk Lake at a MNR inspection station and I asked why Lake 21 was not stocked again.

The MNR Officer told us it had been stocked in error :o and wouldn't be stocked with Auroras again.