outdoor card

corvette1

Just a couple of pieces of information about the Outdoors Card, which I still believe is actually a good thing.

When I was a Zone 3 director for a number of years of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (in the 80's) we were pushing for the adoption of an Outdoors Card. The older members here will remember the days when you had multiple pieces of paper for all the licenses (small game, deer, bear, moose, fishing) and multiple ways to lose them. The Outdoors Card "centralized" all the licenses with stickers on one credit card-sized piece of plastic. It also did away with you having to wait for each license issuer to fill out a new license with all your information (name, address, etc. etc.).

The cost of the Outdoors Card itself (not the licenses that are applied to it) is earmarked for fish and game management and conservation. This is unusual because all other license and permit fees go into general governemt revenues and are "lost" as far as maintaining and improving hunting and fishing opportunities. The O.F.A.H. and the public have some say in where Outdoors Card revenues are spent.

I don't have a problem with the outdoors card. I think its a handy little thing. I just don't understand being charged for having your wifes in your pocket. Dear, I don't want to bring my purse in the boat, could you hold my outdoors card for me. No dear, if I do, they will put me in jail.