Shades Mills

anglers2be11

I've been there twice this year with the kayak and have caught hammer handle sized pike, small smallmouth bass, small largemouth bass and some decent sized crappie. I had luck with small 1/16oz jig & grub combos in white and yellow and 4" black sluggos. The lake is so small you can fish it all in a couple hours so finding the good spots is up to you. Good luck and have fun.

well, tried it out. Was horrible, covered most of the area, tried dropshot, tubes, crankbaits nada - only a few other people fishing, only one boat (shows how crap the fishing is there on a sunny calm day even), hooked a rock bass, small mouth (really young), others fishing from shore (just a few) caught sunfish, third time there - last time there.

well, tried it out. Was horrible, covered most of the area, tried dropshot, tubes, crankbaits nada - only a few other people fishing, only one boat (shows how crap the fishing is there on a sunny calm day even), hooked a rock bass, small mouth (really young), others fishing from shore (just a few) caught sunfish, third time there - last time there.

Give it time! You gotta find them

I have tried Shades Mill only from shore and lost two lures snagging on logs. Its part of the Grand River so I'm sure there is some decent fish in there but I haven't had any luck. It would be nice to get a boat and trolling motor to cover some ground and see what its really like.

this lake is well past it's prime. it is very tough fishing to say the least. it used to be the best in the area. Having said that - I fished it last summer twice - got most of my fish in the shallow end near the launch with scum frogs and heavy flip'n jigs punched through surface slop. Dead sticking or slow fishing natural coloured senkos got me some too - BUT IT WAS TOUGH!!! I spotted a nice largemouth cruising a shallow flat and threw a 4 inch senko as far as I could to him. It landed 10 feet away and he bolted like a threw a two by four at him! My kids were at camp there so I toughed it out for a second day - same results. My friend, who wins some very big bass tourneys agrees with me on this. There are some really big bass in there still.

Landry

a fantastic region to fish with many honey-holes even in smaller conservation areas such as shades. what can we foresee happening here in an area so close to a major population base without a sufficient enforcement to babysit a non-conservation minded society? lower numbers of smaller sportfish!! even as little as five years ago , i've seen these reservoirs producing great catches!

poor valens is in a state of ill-management still too.

a fantastic region to fish with many honey-holes even in smaller conservation areas such as shades. what can we foresee happening here in an area so close to a major population base without a sufficient enforcement to babysit a non-conservation minded society? lower numbers of smaller sportfish!! even as little as five years ago , i've seen these reservoirs producing great catches!

poor valens is in a state of ill-management still too.

Agreed.

I have a problem with a conservation area being treated like a grocery store. How is that conservation?

Maybe these CAs should institute lower limits or stocking to rehabilitate their waters.