Winterization Help

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, this will be my first year winterizing a motor and there are a couple of things I am confused about that I am hoping you can help me with. For reference, I have a 2001 Mercury four stroke 40 hp.

1. Is fogging necessary? In my service manual, it doesn't mention fogging the engine, just running stabilizer through the fuel system and injecting some oil in the plugs. If fogging is necessary, I can't figure out where to spray the fogging? Below is a link to the carburetor intake information for my motor...if someone can point it out.

http://1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Servi...857046r1/3b.pdf

2. For lubrication, it states that I should lubricate the motor at several points through "lubrication fitting" (see below link). Do I need a special tool for this? (no "special tool for lubrication" jokes).

http://1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Servi...857046r1/1b.pdf

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer. It's my first REAL boat. I just bought it this year and want to make sure I take good care of her.

Hi all, this will be my first year winterizing a motor and there are a couple of things I am confused about that I am hoping you can help me with. For reference, I have a 2001 Mercury four stroke 40 hp.

1. Is fogging necessary? In my service manual, it doesn't mention fogging the engine, just running stabilizer through the fuel system and injecting some oil in the plugs. If fogging is necessary, I can't figure out where to spray the fogging? Below is a link to the carburetor intake information for my motor...if someone can point it out.

http://1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Servi...857046r1/3b.pdf

2. For lubrication, it states that I should lubricate the motor at several points through "lubrication fitting" (see below link). Do I need a special tool for this? (no "special tool for lubrication" jokes).

http://1manual.com/Mercury%20manuals/Servi...857046r1/1b.pdf

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer. It's my first REAL boat. I just bought it this year and want to make sure I take good care of her.

No "special" tool need just a standard grease gun fitting, if it's too tight you can get a small thin adapter to grease the nipples indicated in your manual, use marine grease. As for fogging, if your manual doesn't say, I don't, 13 years with the same motor that runs like day one. Store the motor in a dry place if you can with fresh oil in the crankcase.

Edited by Fisherman

Yep, I've never fogged mine before either. Just add stabilizer to the fuel (seafoam), change the lower unit oil, and a couple shots of grease here and there and your done. I take my batteries out and make sure they're charged all winter too.

S.

I always fogged my 2 stroke motors that didn't have oil injection like the Optimax motors do if I stored them outside in the winter. The quick way to do it is to remove the plugs, spray a 5 second shot of fogging oil into the plug opening, put the plugs back in, connect the spark plug wires, pull the kill switch and crank the motor for 10-20 second. This will lubricate the cylinder walls with the oil without firing the motor.

This should be done after the stabilizer is run through the fuel lines.

Don't forget to change your gear case oil as well.

JP

Like Fisherman said. And add on these steps. Drain the crank case oil and replace with new oil. Drain the gear lube and check for water in it (milky colour) and replace with new. If the motor has an air filter now is the time to replace it. The same with fuel filter or water seperator. If the boat has a built in fuel tank add stabilizer and fill. A full tank prevents condensation from forming and the stabilizer prevents the fuel from breaking down over the storage period, if just a portable tank emty it into your tow vehicle. Check your prop for wear and tear and also check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft. Check the trailer bearings and hubs, grease bearings. When you park it for the winter block the trailer axle/s up so the tires are just off the ground.

Take your battery/s out and top up the fluids and top off the charge. Then maintain the charge every so often over the winter. Store them inside on a wooden bench if you can.

If you do everything in the fall it is just a matter of launching and turning the key in the spring.

Tom.