Scugog

HUKDONFAWNIX

I have all of the gear - rods, reels, proper sized cradle etc. I have read a lot about the "art" of Musky fishing too, just haven't had the chance to put my research to good use.

The one thing I'm not sure about is what lures to use on this lake? I have some good ideas....inline spinners w/bucktail, large spinnerbaits, large jerk baits etc. But what colours? What size?

I can see that the Caesarea portion of Scugog is relatively flat and not very deep. So I'm a little lost.

Any help would be wonderful.

Okay, you've got the gear :thumbsup_anim: I can scrap that portion of the post :D

As for lures, bring a couple of the biggest spinners you've got -- my fave is a 9.5" Buchertail; bring a big crankbait, like a rapala super-shad, or a believer,...something you can rip through a few feet of water and shake weeds off of...there will be lots of weeds :D A topwater jerkbait may be good, if it's calm, or if you're there early or late.

My most successful outings have been tossing spinners out over the weedbeds while drifting past West Shore Marina. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, I go about a half km past it, then drift back down...anywhere from 100 to 300 yards out from the shore the marina's on.

That's all I got...never been on Scugog and not at least had a Muskie on...if you're prepared with the right tackle, you should be able to land one...don't need a ton of lures though. Post a report if/when you go, and let us know how you did :D

Edited by johnnyb

well, during the summer months you can't go wrong with a big bucktail or marabou inline spinner (up to size 10 blades - at least that's what i've used). also big bucktail spinnerbaits will do the trick, and they are more weedless (Northland Bionic Bucktails are a decent choice). best colours that i've found are black/red or yellow/red.

but now as the nights are getting colder, the fish are likely not in the same water that they inhabited in the summer months... they may be a little deeper, outside the weed edges even.

Also, i'm not sure what you mean by:

I can see that the Caesarea portion of Scugog is relatively flat and not very deep. So I'm a little lost.

the Caesarea side is the deepest part of the lake... that one hole out from the launch is in the 20-25 foot depth... i'm not really sure what you're looking for though...

Although I've never caught Musky on Scugog I have landed quite a few on Blue Fox Vibrax Musky Bucks here in the Kawarthas (got one yesterday). I like the black and Silver ones the best, they are nice and light meaning you can cast them all day and cover alot of water, they spin well when worked either fast or slow, they are not terribly expensive, you can find them at pretty much any Canadian Tire and...they work.

They are also light enough that they won't snap your line (shouldn't if you're using a reasonable strength braid) in the event of a birdsnest.

Edited by Weeds

Hey gonefishin,

What I meant by the lake being flat is there are not too many drop offs that might hold fish, so I didn't really see too many starting points when I looked at my contour map. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Jonaton - I went to BPS today to bnuy a perch grandma and they are sold out! Must be a pretty popular lure for musky eh?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I know I have said this in the past, but this board is full of friendly, and extremely helpful people. I love it.

I'm going to Caesarea tonite and I will post my results when I return on Monday.

Have a great weekend everybody! Be safe!