Curing Skein

elusive

Guest gbfisher

Yes adding brown sugar and salt works well. There are some products you can use to cure eggs in which after curing you can leave them in the fridge for an good amount of time with out them going bad(Pro cure). Freezing eggs after adding salt and sugar to keep them is the only way to have them for a year or more.

I know of a guy in the states who has a cure in which you can leave the eggs in the fridge for a year or more and they smell like fresh roe every time you use them. No need to freeze. Unfortunately he isn't selling it to the public as of yet. He's been working on it now for a couple years. The stuff is pure gold when it comes to curing eggs or skein.

Yes adding brown sugar and salt works well. There are some products you can use to cure eggs in which after curing you can leave them in the fridge for an good amount of time with out them going bad(Pro cure). Freezing eggs after adding salt and sugar to keep them is the only way to have them for a year or more.

I know of a guy in the states who has a cure in which you can leave the eggs in the fridge for a year or more and they smell like fresh roe every time you use them. No need to freeze. Unfortunately he isn't selling it to the public as of yet. He's been working on it now for a couple years. The stuff is pure gold when it comes to curing eggs or skein.

Thanks bro.

Tight Lines & Blunts

Sounds good GB love to try the NY stuff, my bro and I dabbled with different things to avoid freezing without much success. Well, except for our singles.

Kush, a trick we used for early season (skein) fish was to borrow your Mrs. Panty hose. After landing the fish put the skein in the hose and put it in the river for a while. Firms it up a bit and makes it cut/hookable. Little borax and good to go. Best to replace the panty hose too. ;)

Edited by Harrison

I use borax only, it cures very well, roe stays bright much longer and borax does not have

any non-natural for fish roe smell and taste, like sugar and salt doing.

Always greater success, IMHO.

Borax you can find in WalMart, between detergents.

Quick tip for separation roe from skein: cold water hardens the roe, see above message.

After that just rub skein over the badminton racquet, clean roe falling through the net.

Very easy to get it done with no hussle.;)

There is another way to cure roe - do not separate from skeins, just cut to longer stripes with around 1/2 x 1'' in section

for future cutting to desired bait size, lay the cut skeins in the borax, spaced 0.5 inch apart, shake some extra borax over the top.

Keep it drying for from few hours to one day untill seins are a little bit rubberized, but still soft, turning over every few hours,

put into jars covered with borax into the fridge. Finally make desired size bait cuts just befors fishing trip.

It works sometimes much better than roe bags, believe me!

Edited by DMASTER

I pretty much leave my roe fresh... it gets a quick rinse in bottled water with coarse seasalt and then a semi dry on some newpaper and into the freezer. Its good for a whole season and milks much better than cured eggs. I find that when cured simply like that it CLEARLY outfished cured roe when the bite is normal... when its on fire everything works the same

I've used all methods..sugar, borax, salt and pro cure. Pro cure sure is more fool proof, but I think drying on paper, borax them sugar was the best overall.

Just make sure to cure the membrane real good for best results. Then use the skein snell knot and it makes for any easy day,