Building your own livewell...

bluesky1713

Thinking about putting a livewell in my boat. (It does not have one). What is the best way to do this? Should I build my own, or is there a good place to buy a livewell that I could install in my boat? I have found a few links online regarding fabrication of a livewell from a cooler. Has anyone on this board done this and to what degree of success?

Thanks!

My old man and I rigged one up out of a plastic/rubbermaid lidded container, installing an aerator and hooking it up to his boat's console. the aerator suctions to the bottom of the container. works decent enough and probably <$100 to build. we considered using a cooler but not sure why we went with this rig. maybe cheaper

Thinking about putting a livewell in my boat. (It does not have one). What is the best way to do this? Should I build my own, or is there a good place to buy a livewell that I could install in my boat? I have found a few links online regarding fabrication of a livewell from a cooler. Has anyone on this board done this and to what degree of success?

Thanks!

We don't charge by the word ya know. Hows about some info on the boat?

Jim

The 14' Lund boat I bought had most of the floatation out of the middle seat for storage so I went to a welding shop and had them fabricate me a live well to fit in this spot it is 8.5 in. wide and 41 in. long then I purchased a basspirator live well kit. Pretty easy to install just drill a few holes and I filled the voids with expandable foam just to try and replace some of the stuff that was taken out.Works great. Total price around $300..$150 for live well.. $130 for the kit. about an hour to install. If you are interested in pictures let me know.

Well I bought a small cooler today for my small livewell. Going to put it behind the back seat in my boat. It's 22" across or 24" from corner to corner...maybe 13" deep. Will do great!

Going to pick up this kit from BPS in the fall some time. Not bad for 40bucks, pump, power hookup, pipe, and the hose. Looks like a good deal to me!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...partNumber=1293

See any flaws? Only think I might buy separately would be some of that Velcro...unless those suction cups will hold on good.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Here,s one I did 2002

spankybaits010-1.jpg

spankybaits011-1.jpg

spankybaits012-1.jpg

You just fill it up with a bucket. The pump will airrate the well. When I wanted to empty the well,I just pulled out the hose,placed over the edge of the boat and turned the pump on.

This was my first attemp. If I ever were to do it again,I would put a pump in, that would suck the water through the hull and an outlet for the dispersing of water.