Lakes access restricted for tourism only?

walleyebob

As someone who grew up in White River, and whose family still works there in the tourism business (not remote tourism), I can assure you that business has been hurt by the restrictive road use policy. The government is not maintaining wilderness roads around White River, like the North Regean road which traditionally has been used by many drive in tourists from both the Northern US and Ontario. Less tourists are coming to the area to camp and fish and use local supplies than in the 60s-80s because of these policies.

The policy is to close roads whenever possible when no one complains to support remote tourism. This is supported by other government policies such as the one attempting to bring back phantom caribou herds which never existed in the area to any great number except in the imagination of academics and the antis.

I think the government should be supporting a more balanced policy of maintaining some areas for drive in camping or even cabin renting (like is done in Quebec) along with remote tourism. The White River area and the North Shore of Lake Superior has many large lakes which could sustain more fishing pressure. Following lobbying by the remote tourism industry, the policy makers have chosen the easier route - support a few at the expense of many...

Still seems pretty busy to me up the N. Regean Rd. Ive seen the same groups up for moose/bird for a number of years now. Im usually up there 2 times a year once in Sept and once in Nov. to hunt and fish. Seems like they are running the main branch pretty heavy with the logging. Definitly the secondary or tertiary roads have suffered. Went down Davis Lk road last year and it was rough. Antigamig is the same. My favorite trail near Cupa is basically gone.

Here is a question tied to this. When a logging company builds a road to access a block what steps must they take to keep it up after the logging in that area is finished? I know most permits require the removal of water crossings. But tied to access, would it be the MNR that would have to pay to maintain a logging road for public access? If this is the case I could see it being a tough sell to improve or at least maintain a road.

Dont the MNR just let the road go after the loggin companies leave? I always thought that. Like you said...remove the water crossings and forget about it usually. That seems to be what happens up here on the TIC road area. Lots of old logging roads getting grown in and quite rough.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

another issue with abandoned roads is that no one wants the liability; the loggers or the MNR so they have bridges pulled and even sometimes the head of the trail barricaded.

so you and your boys strap a canoe to your back and hike 30K up the logging roads?

how long does that take ya?

AND do you just park your car at the mouth of the private road?

No its called a float tube. Weighs about 5 lbs, my waders fins and camping equipment plus food are all carried in or strapped to one back pack. Can carry enough stuff to last a week. I wouldnt go that hardcore for anything less than 5 days. We park at designated parking areas after unloading all the gear. One person stays with the gear other person parks and bikes back were we lock bike up to a tree. Works great.

No its called a float tube. Weighs about 5 lbs, my waders fins and camping equipment plus food are all carried in or strapped to one back pack. Can carry enough stuff to last a week. I wouldnt go that hardcore for anything less than 5 days. We park at designated parking areas after unloading all the gear. One person stays with the gear other person parks and bikes back were we lock bike up to a tree. Works great.

ahh i c....

very nice

I have no problem with restricted access. IE no motorized...but planes are motorized...thats my beef.

The same with the cacheing boats thread. Tourist operators cache boats.

I feel this is to make up for screwing up the spring bear hunt.

Because the plane is landing on the water and not damaging anything when it does so, unlike trucks driving through a bush.

I have to say that I agree with the closures, but it should not be accessable by plain, train, or anything else for that matter. If you can get there without a motor, do it and have a great time when you get there. The way this is set out it is rewarding those with more money, which is crap. It's crown land, our land, use it, but keep it protected and as beautiful as it is.

Because the plane is landing on the water and not damaging anything when it does so, unlike trucks driving through a bush.

I have to say that I agree with the closures, but it should not be accessable by plain, train, or anything else for that matter. If you can get there without a motor, do it and have a great time when you get there. The way this is set out it is rewarding those with more money, which is crap. It's crown land, our land, use it, but keep it protected and as beautiful as it is.

This from a person that lives in an area where every road is paved.

I'm sorry, south of the French river should have NOTHING to say about how we handle our area.

Driving through a bush? We go around the bushes :D

Still seems pretty busy to me up the N. Regean Rd. Ive seen the same groups up for moose/bird for a number of years now. Im usually up there 2 times a year once in Sept and once in Nov. to hunt and fish. Seems like they are running the main branch pretty heavy with the logging. Definitly the secondary or tertiary roads have suffered. Went down Davis Lk road last year and it was rough. Antigamig is the same. My favorite trail near Cupa is basically gone.

Here is a question tied to this. When a logging company builds a road to access a block what steps must they take to keep it up after the logging in that area is finished? I know most permits require the removal of water crossings. But tied to access, would it be the MNR that would have to pay to maintain a logging road for public access? If this is the case I could see it being a tough sell to improve or at least maintain a road.

Still busy up there, but better take a 4 wheel drive...as you mention Cupa, ever been to Kwinkwaga? What a lake - huge and full of walleye and lake trout.

The responsibility for the road shifts to the ministry after the logging road is built. This is why the roads are in a state of disrepair. The MNR used to maintain the roads but of course with budget cuts no longer do so, or only begrudgingly. They will however pay to stop northern ontario residents and tourists from accessing remote lakes (by bulldozing and enforcing) so that only those with the cash can get to remote lakes via the tourist operators.

What I'm saying, and what most residents of the North want is a more balanced policy. Given the protests near Dubreilville and White River over the past few years, I'm sure you could find local resident sportsman's clubs willing to pay to maintain the roads. Unfortunately this will never happen because of bias in the ministry towards restricting access whenever possible....talk to anyone who lives in the area and they will swear that some palms are being greased...