La Reserve Beauchene Report

Jigster

Around a month ago (mid july) I returned to La Reserve Beauchene (Temiscaming about 1 hour from north bay) with my father. High expectations from last year's trip were exceeded by sheer numbers of sizeable and varied fish. The bass fishing was so good that I wore through my cameras batteries by taking so many smallmouth pics. On some of the back lakes a fish was taken on almost every cast, all day long to the point that I started to sightfish with the fly rod as though I was in the bahamas chasing bonefish. Crayfish patterns (full motion crayfish) were the order of the day as were senkos, particularly black/smoke/watermelon in clear water and pink in darker water. We visited a couple of beautiful brook trout lakes with success, but smallmouth was what we were after and by god we caught enough fish for a whole summer's worth of satisfaction. This is a 40-lake, catch and release fishery for smallies but whenever we needed table fare the lake trout and walleye were closeby and were there in numbers... My father also caught a gorgeous 19.5 inch splake while bass fishing with a senko which was excellent eating. For a drive-to fishery only 5 hours from toronto this place is absolutely epic.... I love it!

http://s649.photobucket.com/albums/uu220/K...mview=slideshow

looks like you had a great time and caught lots of fish

I was there years ago and was very disappointed

Terry - can you expand on that?

I have considered going here but am interested in why you were dissappointed.

Edited by Bubbles

sure

part of t was not their fault

we booked in the winter to go the next summer, at the Sportsman show they told us they had great bass lake trout and walleye fishing

we wanted walleye and he said they had lakes that would keep us happy

2 weeks before the trip I called them to reconfirm the reservation and to check on fishing that year, all was well cabin was booked

we got there and they told us the lakes that had walleye were closed because they had major winter kill, so they were no letting anyone fish them..

I asked why they didn't tell me when I called and their only answer was they don't know..

so I say can you put us on the lake where Bob Izumi caught all the bass on his show, they say we could go to the lake but we will not catch many because came before bass opening to film the show, then he also tells us the bass fishing is not very good this year

.......now lake trout, we could catch 100 a day if we wanted.........on the 4th day we found the bass and the guides we asking me where they were and how I was catching them....I didn't tell them.....

had they told me upfront I couldn't fish for walleye I might have been less down on them

Terry that makes a lot of sense - I really don't think Beauchene should be marketing themselves as a walleye destination given the terrific brook trout and smallie fishing they offer. In fact the easiest and fish to fool (and you can take them all day if you want) are lake trout! They're pretty much guaranteed if you're trolling 30-40 feet deep in 60-80 fow. We also caught them vertical jigging with spoons and I hear in the spring you can catch them on the fly: fantastic.

Honestly though, if you just want to pound the smallmouth all day you can go to a couple back lakes I'd be glad to share with where catching over 50 fish is the rule not the exception...

That being said when we targeted walleye we caught shore lunch within 10 min both times (little beauchene, devil lakes) and some larger ones to boot. Regardless, walleye at Beauchene are a bonus feature over an above the smallmouth main event, which is spectacular.