Hit the bush for a few hours

misfish

The baiting, is not to bring them,it,s to keep them around.

Once the week before the hunt rolls around(oct 1st),the feeder will no longer be filled.

It,s just to see whats there.

I understand that this is the effect you want. BUT-- the older ans smarted deer will connect the food to human. Then they will move deeper into the woods, making it harder for everyone to bag the big one. Baiting works great if you are after the smaller deer. As I said, not to be a bug- and please research the effectiveness.

The baiting, is not to bring them,it,s to keep them around.

Once the week before the hunt rolls around(oct 1st),the feeder will no longer be filled.

It,s just to see whats there.

I understand that this is the effect you want. BUT-- the older ans smarted deer will connect the food to human. Then they will move deeper into the woods, making it harder for everyone to bag the big one. Baiting works great if you are after the smaller deer. As I said, not to be a bug- and please research the effectiveness.

Thanks for your input Monsterman.

I will try like you say. I have three stands in the area I hunt.Adding a fourth. Basicly covering each corner of the property. Maybe putting the feeder in the middle of the bush is a better location?

As for other hunters,it,s just myself,and a guest if there is one. It,s private property.

The owner of the land has seen 2 big bucks now anlonf with 2 smaller ones and three does.

I,t just myself and mrs,s that will be eating the kill,so a bigg,n would be to much for us. Yes I do share the kill with the land owner.

Thanks again for your input. Much thanks for that.

Food plots however are legal here.Do you have access to the land to make a plot over the summer?Very effective for drawing them in and improving racks.Does not do much for the quality here because the land is cut up into 30 acre or less lots.Any decnt rack that wanders onto the wrong lot is dispatched and will not grow another year.I tried a plot once and my goats loved it.Best of luck this season,bud.

Joe

Instead of starting a new thread,I thought I would just keep adding to this one til the day I get one.Save space aswell. B)

Decided booked the day off to finish up on the stands. The time is closing fast.

Taking the advise from Monsterman,I took my homemade climber deep into the woods. Looked for the perfect tree,cleared some shooting lanes, and there ya go. Done. It,s nice to know, you can leave your stuff behind,and not get stolen.

20090910_02.jpg

I have one ladderstand that I was never really getting a positive feeling about it,s location,so I went and took it down,loaded it up and went a searching.

20090910_05.jpg

Knowing the new corn crop (natural feed plot) would for sure be a great bet for the afternoon hunts after work.I went for a walk along the trees edge. Seeing old rubs from last year,I just needed to find the right location.I start to look for a suitable spot. Close to the field,and close to a corner entrance. While looking for that "spot" I came accross down corn and a bedding.

20090910_06.jpg

20090910_07.jpg

Looking for a good solid tree to setup on,I found one just in the bush abit.Cleared some sapplings,trim some branches,and up she went. I like the view,and I am very CONFIDENT, about this spot.

20090910_08.jpg

The patch between the trees and corn,the land owner and I, are going to plow it up and plant clover.

20090910_09.jpg

As for the feeder,it was empty again,and almost ripped off the tree. :o

Big deer tracks around. Im getting jacked up now.

Til the next report.

Straight shoot,n.

Edited by misfish

Looks like a great spot. That corn that is down would likely be coons. I took a walk today around the area i hunt and found lots of beds aswell. Man is the season ever sneaking up on us.

Yep coons,but the tracks were there. ;)

Should add,this is the spot I have shot my turkeys,and the same spot where I took the vid of the two deer this spring.

Edited by misfish

Is that a home made ladder stand ? if it is , what was the cost of material? thanks

I make all my own stuff.

Made it at work.SHHHHHHH :lol:

The cost was 1/2 of what a store bought was,and it,s stronger.

1"square tube.125 wall.1"angle for the step part,and the mesh was just lying around the shop. ;)

It,s 17 ft.I have another that is 21 ft and a 15 ft.

21ft scares me.LOL Higher then you think.

21ft scares me.LOL Higher then you think.

LOL ya me too. My ladder is 15. at max ill put my portable about 20. One of the guys I hunt with I wont even go in his stands. He figures higher is better and hes got a few over 30 ( F -THAT !!). He wonders why he misses all the time :P