Ideas for southern vacation this winter?

lhousesoccer

My wife, 3-year old son and I hope to take a vacation somewhere warm, sunny and sandy this winter (a little fishing on the side would be a bonus :).

I've been poking around the internet looking for Caribbean deals and the prices are a bit shocking. The travel section for the Toronto Star has some good deals, but it's all for trips in Oct-Nov-Dec. We're looking for the mid-winter.

We're not looking for over-crowded, high-rise beach front 5-star resorts. We are looking for somewhere nice, clean, quiet, and relaxing.

I was thinking maybe some people here might have some suggestions that might fit the bill, from personal experience.

Thanks!

Edited by lhousesoccer

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Alabama is a nice place, very quiet at that time of the year too. It may be a little cooler than you'd like but they do have some real nice days in January and February.

It will be inexpensive as well!

The saltwater fishing is great for big Bull Redfish at that time of year too!!!

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Alabama is a nice place, very quiet at that time of the year too. It may be a little cooler than you'd like but they do have some real nice days in January and February. It will be inexpensive as well! The saltwater fishing is great for big Bull Redfish at that time of year too!!!
I like the "inexpensive" part, and the salwater fishing part even better, but if it's not hot enough for my wife to want to lay out on the beach or for my son to play in the water, then I doubt I could get her to go for it!