georgian bay?

hendrix

Hey, im pretty new here, but i noticed that when it comes to salmon, people are mostly talking about lake Ontario and Erie. So, my question is why isn't Georgian Bay as popular? or am i just not looking at the right threads?

i want to go fishing to wasaga, or owen sound, but i don't have a boat just yet, so i was also wondering if there is a difference in the timeframe during which lake Huron salmon start entering the rivers, compared to lake Ontario salmon? if you think about it, the farther up north, the colder the temperatures, the better the conditions are for the fish? only salmon i ever caught were 2 (cohos i think?) at wasaga beach, about 4 years ago, so any help will be greatly appreciated :P

I've fished NE corner of Geo. Bay for over 30 yrs now (at a cam pnear Bustard Islands and the mouth of the French). I've seen weeks where we absolutely slayed the walleye. In 2007 4 of us (including 2 kids and a novice) caught almost 200 lbs of walleye . we averaged almost 4 lbs per fish, including 4 ten lb'ers. In 97 8 of us caught 125 in 2 days. By contrast, this yr was horrible. Was scratching my head all week. Other yrs have been sparse as well. The common denominator for us over the yrs has been: we can always find the big fish. Finding consistent numbers, particularly the smaller eaters, has always been our challenge. I think it is primarily because there are so many shoals, dropoffs, and access to deep water that it makes eliminating unproductive water a real challenge. Also, unlike many other smaller lakes, there aren't a lot of well defined open water weedbeds, except in the shallow bays ,which are often weed choked.

It is a challenging fishery, but it can pay off in monster eyes, and big pike too. Like any big body of water, it takes time to find the honey holes...

Guest gbfisher

I think the topic was Salmon. ;)

Salmon on the east side of Georgian Bay are almost non existant. Owen Sound is about the only place left with any amount of fish worth fishing for. Lakers and rainbow are plenty.

Edited by gbfisher

I won't say salmon are non existant in G Bay anymore, but compared to what it was like 10 years ago, it may as well be. For every 10 lakers and 1 or 2 rainbow, you might get a small salmon. Lack of baitfish, cormorants, miles of nylon nets and it pretty much goes to hades in a handcart at high speed. I managed a 6lb rainbow on monday night, I'd hate to put a price/pound on it considering the amount of time and gas used to catch one. Years ago the Owen sound derby was just something to behold, if your fish didn't weigh at least 20 lbs, they pushed you into the "express" weigh in line. Last year there wasn't even a line up, maybe 2-3 people at a time. Now, if you get a salmon, you're a fishing god. I'm sure that numbers went from over 10,000 years ago to around 1200 fish entered for the whole 10 days, and that includes salmon, lakers, rainbow and brown. Pretty bad. Anyway, no point in complaining, go fish and hope for the best.

Guest gbfisher

Lots of bait there fisherman. The nets do very little on the east side. No ones complaining. It's just not worth fishing for Salmon on the east side.

We did get our limit on the north west side of the Bay this Spring. That was a fluke :lol: and all fish were natural. :)

4 years ago when i caught those 2 fish, it was PACKED every time i went to wasaga. i talked to this old portuguese dude, he told me he catches at least 1 salmon a day (this was in september). but that was 4 years ago, dont know if things are any different now.

Some years back, there was talk about salmon in lake O being overstocked and running out of feed. The fish were fewer and smaller but it leveled out and the numbers and sizes are back. Same thing is happening in Lake Huron now. Give it a few years and they'll be back there too. It's a cyclical thing.

Guest gbfisher

Without Stocking the Salmon will not be back like they once were all around the bay. It's sad actually.

I know a few who are selling their boats due to the lack of fish and the amount of up keep on a large Salmon set up.

There is a derby that I know of in which 90 boat enter usually. The biggest fish this year was .9 lbs with only 4 fish being entered.

That's down from last year....... :rolleyes: It's been going that way for the last 10 years now.

The water is a cycle thing. At least it's coming back slowly with over 24" in the last 3 years. :)