Downrigger set-up pics????

rtrudeau

Was talking with Fisherman today and he mentioned that he had seen some good downrigger set-up pics here on the site. Wondering if you have a good rigger mounting set up if you wouldn't mind postin' em. I will be putting my manuals (to start) on a 17 foot Starcraft. Thanks for the help,Ry

boat9.jpg

1/8" bent stainless plate. I matched the holes already in the boat for the cleats and 2 lags into the plywood.

Scotty mounts but would work for anything. A board across would be in the way on this boat.

Dara, I could use that last one to fish for Volkwagons....lol, I never even though about tying into the existing cleat holes, that is a good idea, what are the bottom screws into? Wood backing under aluminum? Thanks for posts guys, keep em coming. Ry

Right where the lags went in is 2 layers of 3/4" plywood under the carpet. I drilled a pilot hole and screwed em on. If it wasn't tight I was going to put a fender washer for backing and bolt it..

I just got lucky with the location of existing holes. I didn't really want to drill a brand new boat. The brackets I got made at work and used an orbital sander to put a finish on the stainless.

There is a little bend at the rail to match the slope there too.

And some of the fish in that river are the size of volkswagens

Edited by Dara

Any noticible torque on the stainless when you are trolling?

1/8" thick

You will never bend that.

Aluminium I would be concerned with.

Its a plastic scotty mount.

Plenty of things to let go first.

Fish farmer...question regarding that setup you have.

The two inside riggers, when you are turning does the cable come close to the motor? What about running flashers on all four riggers, any problems like tangles when you want to do sharp turns?

Thanks

I'm not sure if you have room or not, but the 36" track system I installed on my boat allows me to change from trolling to other types of fishing easily. triple rod-holder tree and downrigger base slide right out of the track. I can also move them around quite a bit to suit the type of trolling and whether or not I have my top cover up.

IMG_0023Medium-2.jpg

the longer the track, the more stability it will provide, just be sure to back it with plywood or aluminum plating the same length of the track, and large washers/lock nuts and you'll have a solution that will be rock solid for years.

Do it right the first time...

Thanks Radnine. I really do need to clean the green paint off the mounts. I was a messy painter when they were on a 2x6 on my old boat.

Fyrguyry, why don't you show us a pic. Maybe we can give some better ideas.

A board across is nice though. You can mount so many other things on it.

The 2 outside riggers I turn out, the 2 inside go strait out the back. When trolling with all 4 down, running long leads can be a problem if you make to sharp a turn. You just have to be careful. Salmon fishing I run short leads if down deep. long leads if running shallow. It's all good till one of your buds decides to do something crazy :blush: like playing with the radio, :oops: gawking around, :blink: doing the U turn thing. :wallbash:

I'll take more close up pictures and post for you. The tubing is 2X4 can be bought at Metal Super Market.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Took some pictures yesterday for you out fishing

Notice rigger by the kicker, 3 links in the arm. cable is away from the motor.

I never had a problem with cable in the motor.

Come by my place to have a closer look if you like.(Hamilton)

42878829.jpg

36513127.jpg

61246150.jpg

80488078.jpg

38829896.jpg

37273500.jpg

Edited by Fish Farmer

Metal Supermarket is were you can by all kinds of metal types and sizes.

1-735 South Service Stoney Creek

905 643 5387

4-1290 Speers Rd. Oakville

905 847 1911

if your lucky as I was, I found a used piece at Beach Road Steel Sales 1900 Brampton St. Hamilton. They also have new, but more money. I paid by the LBS.

Backbay

My buddy thinks the same as you, Downriggers should be banned :D

Guppy

Yes, the 2 in the middle are Manual, I use them on my smaller boat because no need of power. The manuals are faster than the Elect.Larger wheel. The only advantage of the Elect is when your by yourself running 2 rods. you just hit the switch. I fish allot by myself because it's hard to find someone to fish dark to dark 12 to 14 hours. Is that right Spiel? :D But does that build the thirst :rolleyes:

Edited by Fish Farmer

On my 16.5ft Tracker, I only wanted to drill holes in the plywood (the gunwales are so narrow).

I used 1X6 hardwood backer boards, glued, screwed, and marine varathaned, all stainless steel hardware.

I multispecies fish, so removeability was a factor for me. With these I can remove the riggers and just use the rod holder for inline-planer boards, or remove the whole unit for bass and perch.

If I sell the boat I'll just leave the mounting plates in place.

The 12" risers are about $100 each, a little steep, but I like the results, and I can run 4 rods.

rigger1.jpg

rigger2.jpg

Any Questions, holla back :D