Another Boat Question

MCTFisher9120

Ok, so here's the scoop that Endura 30 was a great little motor but my dad had brought up the topic of getting a little bit more power and precision to go with our boat. The Minn Kota Traxxis Transom mount 40lb thrust motor is going to be our new motor in a month or so. This motor is said to be better on power and far more precise when it comes to speed control + it has a battery power reading on it.

Now before our past trip we bought a 50dolla Motormaster Sure Start Marine battery and it worked out great. We got 3 or 4 trips out onto the water with a single charge and it never fully died on us. However, we want more power for this motor. Can we use a automotive battery, or does it need to be a marine battery. A deep cycle is going to be the general upgrade were looking for.

Nautilus has a deep cycle for $139.99, but then there's a battery like this that striked my eye:

Basically I'm (we) are looking at these 3 batterys:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...e%2BBattery.jsp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...e%2BBattery.jsp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...y%2BBattery.jsp

Now, for now I'm going to ignore the bad reviews on the CT site.

What do you people think would be good to use?

Thanks,

MTBF

I can't answer about the battery question... but if you're paying for a new electric and possibly new battery, have you thought about getting a gas motor?

I have seen quite a number of motors under $500 for 6-9hp. That would be perfect for your boat, while you can still use your Eudura 30 to navigate around the fishing holes without spooking the fish.

I can't answer about the battery question... but if you're paying for a new electric and possibly new battery, have you thought about getting a gas motor?

I have seen quite a number of motors under $500 for 6-9hp. That would be perfect for your boat, while you can still use your Eudura 30 to navigate around the fishing holes without spooking the fish.

It's a good idea but we really want a new trolling motor first. A gas motor isn't needed but well look into it of course. I just like the quietness and ease of transport a electric makes. Well shop around but if we do decide to go gas we still want a new battery that will last a long time, if if we find a good gas motor than we might be stuck with our older Kota.

mike nautilas batterys are ok there kind of like a crap shoot, sometimes you get a great battery and other times there junk. warrantys are great but don't do you any good when your at the lake and jones to fish.

My best luck has been with interstate batterys, but right now i have 5 die hards that are working perfect to date

What is the current size of your marine battery ?is it a cranking or deep cycle?

My reccomandations are a 27 series dc for overall performance in a small boat, using a 27series battery in a 12 ft,er i have a a 36 lb minn kota i could get 2 days of fishing no problem.

also i would reccomend charging after every use, and checking water levels will ensure you get years of service from your battery

mike nautilas batterys are ok there kind of like a crap shoot, sometimes you get a great battery and other times there junk. warrantys are great but don't do you any good when your at the lake and jones to fish.

My best luck has been with interstate batterys, but right now i have 5 die hards that are working perfect to date

What is the current size of your marine battery ?is it a cranking or deep cycle?

My reccomandations are a 27 series dc for overall performance in a small boat, using a 27series battery in a 12 ft,er i have a a 36 lb minn kota i could get 2 days of fishing no problem.

also i would reccomend charging after every use, and checking water levels will ensure you get years of service from your battery

Ok, so the current battery is a cranking not a deep cycle. Theirs a picture of the front of it. But the rest of what you said makes no sense to me lol. Can you send me a link of the battery you are talking about perhaps?

For a trolling motor a deep cycle battery is your best option. I'm in the market as my Interstates have finally crapoped out ad=fter seven years. As recommended by other members the most power and best price right now on a deep cycle is Walmart @$90 for a 27 class deep cycle. Will be picking up 2 of these today on the drive home.

Costco has a good deal too but reserve capacity is lower than the Energizer at Walmart.