Fires, the forest kind

tjsa

Talked to my CO bud this evening, the MNR up here actually had to respond to a fire on a local lake called Flower Lake, a shore lunch fire that wasn't properly put out. Because of our extremely dry conditions, the fire burnt up a hillside on a south facing slope, which had no snow on it, because it all melted a few weeks ago before our deep freeze and we have had no precipitation since.

AND ITS HAPPENING IN FEBRUARY!!!!

Man, if we don't get some snow or rain in the spring, its gonna be a bad year for fires up here :( :( :( :(

man that sucks! Where up north are you from?

Cheers!

I am up in the Great White North, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and our snow load is minimal right now. Our precipitation for snow is almost non-existant. We have at most in some areas maybe 1 ft. of snow. Our water levels are extremely low, our rural people outside of the city water supply have to haul water, to cook and clean dishes with, and drink from.

They are relying on friends, family, or workplaces for showering, washing clothes, etc. Not all of them of course, but lots of them for sure.

I work at our local university, and we have a small man made lake that flows through it. Our maintenance guys have been clearing it for skating since early december, then they started drilling holes in it, and flooding it with water for a better skating surface. Nice of them to do that, but the effect was that it drew the existing water in the lake down, and the ice surface has now sunk at least 2 ft., because they drew the water out from under the ice. I suspect now, that the ice is now sitting on the bottom of the lake, since it was already low to begin with, and it is only 4 ft. deep at best in high water conditions.

Glen, its easy for a fire to stay alive in even our cold conditions.

We had fires late into the fall, and with the low water table, the fires got down deep into the forest layer. The forest layer is not just a few inches of dried leaves and pine needles, it can be 6 ft. or more until you reach soil, clay, or bedrock.

So, the fire smolders, and the fire crews just cannot get down that deep with shovels, water cannons, etc., and the fires continue to smolder, all winter season.

Then, come spring, and without any significant snowfall, or possibly rains, they just flare up, and start the cycle of mayhem all over again.

We have had a significant(according to some). "bear problem" according to residents and others for a few years since the spring bear hunt was cancelled, but with this years little snow load, I think our bear "problem" is going to be significantly lower this year(don't quote me on that though, lol). Up here, the bears do not have many caves, or dig dens. For the most part, they just pile up a bunch of brush and such, and den there, and with the snow load, they are good to go for the winter.

But this year, with little snow load, their population up here may be in big trouble for their survival of the winter season.

I didn't even bother to go fishing for fall salmon, or rainbows last year, because of the low water levels. I just decided to leave them alone.

tjsa is from Thunder Bay... and all a fire needs is fuel. besides it aint cold here... -30c ish .... Gezz that aint cold... I am ready to strip down and lay on the 70cm of snow I got and start tanning

Gerritt

LOL, Gerritt, can we see some video of that????

I would think that tan you would get would actually be frostbite. It would certainly be a red color at some point, you know, decaying flesh!!!!!

AND, I bloody wish we had 70cm or more of snow fall up here, not all in one instance, but cumulative, even more, we need it, we so desperately need it.

How come you guys got all the good weather this year??? lol.

Hmmmm perhaps that gives me an idea..... how many people would be willing to donate a toonie or even a fin to see me strip down to my boxers and lay in 70+cm's of snow? I would direct 100% of the donations to the Tyler event... I would make sure pictures were taken and perhaps someone could shoot a video?.... trust me I am nuts enough! Hell I'll even do backstrokes in it for charity!

Thomas....I know you guys could use the precipitation... but man... when I was pushing it...7 driveways worth, I had enough!... I would gladly ship some up to you if I could!

Gerritt.

So how will the fishing be this summer in say August ? My first trip I am hopeing it is a good fishing when I get to Quetico .

missouriparrothead.........................Whats the reason for that moniker btw???

Missouri...........I can understand

Parrothead.....................hmmmmmmmm, lol.

August in Quetico should be no problem whatsoever. If you are after walleye and bass. If you are on one of the lakes that have lakers in it, then they will be down deep, use tube jigs, white ones, 4 inch ones, and jig them off of cliffs and reefs in the 40 ft. depth or more.

Lots of pike in the lakes also, dunno about any size of them, but they will be in probably every lake in Quetico.

Never been there myself, and I live only 2 hrs. away from it.

The bugs shouldn't be too bad at that time also. Of couse, there are always skeeters around in the morning and evening, but they usually disappear in mid to late morning, and don't come out again until near sunset.

One thing to watch out for, TICKS. We do have them near us, and Quetico is an area they can be found in.

So.......best to do a tick check before you go to bed at night. And if you do find one on you, grab its body with a pair of tweezers, and give a slow, steady, pull. Might take a minute, but you don't want any part of them things left in your body to aggravate you later.

Yeah, I know, its creepy dealing with them, I haven't had the personal pleasure myself, but a few friends have. And even though I have not been to Quetico, I have fished many tmes in the areas just east of the park, and check myself when I get home.