Questions for the tourney guys

danbouck

My fishing buddy and I have decided to start hitting tournaments consistantly next year. I have a 16.5' Legend with a 50 on the back and some decent gear (nothing fancy or expensive).

I'm curious what exactly I would require for bigger tourneys. Would I need to drop some money on some really good gear? Is there a minimum HP for some tourneys? Do I need sponsors? Are there a lot of tourney guys that don't run bass boats? Where is a good place to start?

I'm hoping to not have to drop a lot of cash for anything because I know the entry fees are pretty high already and the kids still want to eat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Guest skeeter99
My fishing buddy and I have decided to start hitting tournaments consistantly next year. I have a 16.5' Legend with a 50 on the back and some decent gear (nothing fancy or expensive).

I'm curious what exactly I would require for bigger tourneys. Would I need to drop some money on some really good gear? Is there a minimum HP for some tourneys? Do I need sponsors? Are there a lot of tourney guys that don't run bass boats? Where is a good place to start?

I'm hoping to not have to drop a lot of cash for anything because I know the entry fees are pretty high already and the kids still want to eat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

nope you are fine with what you have

the entry fees for bassmania are $300 a tournament so $150 per guy not to bad imo..

remember it is not the stick, but the sticker

all those other fancy boats high horepower are nice and yes I have one but,, BOTTOM LINE you must catch fish

remember those BIG NAMES are human just like you so DO NOT be intimidated

a word of advice do lots od practice on the lakes the tournies are on and I mean lots and you will be fine

for every tourney I pre fish at least 5 days, if all you are cathing is 2 pounders forget it you will not get a pay cheque

one strategy is you either go out and catch fish or do you want to win

five 3 pounders beats five 2 pounders everytime, go out and plan on only getting 5 bites all day of 3 to 4 pound fish

Edited by skeeter99

Here on the bay in the last Quinte series bass tourney 4 of the teams in the top 10 had smaller boats under 115hp.The team that got second caught the fish that put them in second (5 pounder) just feet from the wiegh-in.Jump in and have fun.

you know what the best way to learn about tournament fishing is to join a B.A.S.S Chapter. You can join as boater or a non boater. I would recommend doing at least a couple of non boater tournaments first to see what it really takes to become a tourney angler. It's true you don't need a big boat and sponsors. It's all about getting out on the lake learning it and your ambition, will power and what motivates you to finish 1st .

Dan,

The advise and replies thus far are great and offer good advise. I have fished Professional Bass and Walleye events for 20 years and in 1992 Won $19,375.00 fishing out of a 15.5ft Smoker Craft with a 50 Johnson. I also had a $42,000.00 winning season in a larger aluminum boat years later and as Skeeter99 stated its the Angler not the boat. You have all you need to get out, learn, compete and have some fun. Sponsorships etc. and not required and are not easy to come by in Ont. My advise to you is that you pick a couple of lakes you like (that have some tournies scheduled on them) and spend as much time pre-fishing/practicing on them using a variety of presentations and different spots as possible.

Best of luck to you.... Greg.