flurocarbon?

fishinguypat

what should be the better and cheaper way to get flurocarbon for salmon/steelhead? buying a small spool of flurocarbon that can run like $4-$11 or buying apack of leader material that runs like $3-$7

by better and cheaper i mean is clear in the water so you can catch steelhead,and by cheaper mean the better bang for your buck

also i do have a snelled hook set with thin line on very very small hooks(i mean like the size of nymph hook)

You don't need flouro. Go to a tack shop and get a spool of Maxima Ultragreen leader material, its like 4 bucks for a 25 yard spool and the stuff is STRONG. I use the 4lb and 5 lb test all you need is 12- 18 inches of it under a swivel on your float set up. Some people swear by flouro but I think the guys that float fish with me and use flouro would agree that that they don't outfish me often...its pretty much 1:1

You don't need flouro. Go to a tack shop and get a spool of Maxima Ultragreen leader material, its like 4 bucks for a 25 yard spool and the stuff is STRONG. I use the 4lb and 5 lb test all you need is 12- 18 inches of it under a swivel on your float set up. Some people swear by flouro but I think the guys that float fish with me and use flouro would agree that that they don't outfish me often...its pretty much 1:1

I agree & use 4,6 and 8# Ultragreen for leader material.

I only use flouro in very clear situations. One that immediately comes to mind is Wilmot when it's running at normal or below normal flows.

Under these conditions I find that flouro will outfish mono.

Just my .02

I'll third that. I have flurocarbon leaders "just in case" but since I switched to Maxima UG I haven't gone back. It's super strong, outperformed f/c of the same # in breaking strength and when fishing the same pool with friends using f/c, I've found no difference in hook up rates.

Fluorocarbon is vastly over estimated. The stuff breaks easier than mono, it's knot strength is inferior to mono. It does not resist abrasion as well as mono. It is as elastic as most monos except maybe Berkley XL. And, it's stiff.

Search the internet with the words "fishing line abrasion test", "fishing line strength test" etc. You will find some independant tests that were carried out on all types of lines. There are tests for the different knots on different lines, stretch tests etc. You are in for some real surprises. Ok, you will still wonder about which is the best line or the best knot but you will look at some of the popular lines in another light.

Edited by Dabluz