Moving outboard up via trailer?

Bigfisherman

After some research I found out I need to move the motor up to get the best speed/perf, my motor weights 320#s. I'm told I can use the trailer to do this i.e lower front of trailer(via tounge jack), put a block of wood under skeg, loosen bolts, lift front of trailer align to the higher hole and retighten.

Does this sound right?

Thx

You may not even need the wood.

You can put a piece of plywood on the ground to protect the skeg and driveway from damage remove the top bolts, loosen the bottom ones and crank the front up as you said.

It works very well.

I recently replaced the bunks on my trailer using the same technique.

Crank the tongue as low as it will go, put axel stands with wood blocks under the rear corners of the boat, crank the front as high as it will go, block up under the bow and lower the tongue a few inches to take the weight off the trailer.

Now your traile and boat are separated by a few inches. Enough space to get under and work on the trailer bunks. Sure beats trying to do it in the parking lot at the ramp. B)

After some research I found out I need to move the motor up to get the best speed/perf, my motor weights 320#s. I'm told I can use the trailer to do this i.e lower front of trailer(via tounge jack), put a block of wood under skeg, loosen bolts, lift front of trailer align to the higher hole and retighten.

Does this sound right?

Thx

How ironic. When I was last up at my camp in early July I bolted a new 40hp 4 stroke to my transom without really thinking. In my defence it was getting late the bugs were swarming and a storm was brewing..

Anyhow I installed it a bit too low. The cavitation plate needs to be at or near the water line.

What you described is exactly what I'll be doing when I get up there on Saturday. :)