ICE REPORT and FISH COOKING Question

DMASSE

th_DAVE.jpg

DAVE1.jpg

Perch.jpg

Hello

After breaking plans with Clampet today (sorry Paul) Due to the fact that I had a scheduled guiding day on the ice, 2 new guys that wanted to have fun, catch fish and experience our great ice fishing. We were going to go out to simcoe but I decided to take them to a small crappie lake I like to goto near Cambridge...

It was a great day for Pike... managed 3 on the ice and 4 lost in the hole with the largest being 36" +. I even had a pike hit a silver hook that I was dropping down to find the depth, very cool when you catch fish with no bait

Managed to catch a tons of crappie (kept 30 ) and 2 very large perch today and I have a good amout of fish fillets.

Now My question is with all these filletts what is a good method of cooking them, batter, bake, fry, etc etc

I usually bread them and deep fry but looking for something different..

Dave

Edited by DMASSE

Baked Pike

• 3 to 4 pounds of boned northern pike fillets

• 1/2 to 1 pound thinly sliced carrots

• 1 or 2 large white onions

• 16 oz. sour cream

• 1 can cream of celery soup

• 2 tablespoons bread crumbs

• Paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Par-boil northern fillets wrapped in cheesecloth for about 5 minutes. Lie fillets in large baking dish. Cover with sliced carrots and then onions. Mix sour cream, celery soup and bread crumbs in separate bowl and pour over fish, carrots and onions. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 35-45 minutes or until all liquid is bubbling through fish. Serves 4.

Grilled Pike

• 12-pound pike

• olive oil

• salt and pepper

• 1 clove of garlic

• parsley

• olives

• green peppers in oil

• 1 spoonful of vinegar

Clean and wash the pike. Cover with bread crumbs and grill for 20 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the sauce with a good-sized bunch of parsley, oil, and the whole clove of garlic (to be removed later), salt, pepper, and vinegar. Cut the fish into six portions and cover with sauce, adding olives and green peppers. Cut into long, thin slices.

Steamed Pike

• 12 escalopes of Pike (60gr a piece)

• 1 Cup Extra virgin Olive oil

• 3 dried Tomatoes

• 2 spoons Pine nuts

• 3/4 Cup White Wine

• Salt and pepper

• 1 Tsp minced parsley

Season the escalopes of pike and steam them 4 minutes. To prepare the sauce heat the olive oil and roast the thin sliced tomatoes. Add the pine seeds and roast them lightly. After adding the white wine reduce it all. Before seasoning the sauce add the chopped parsley. Arrange the escalopes on the plates and drape it with the sauce. Chef Oliver Lauterbach serves it with braised strips of leek and vegetable pearls.