Bought my First Boat, and Took a 13 Day Fishing Vacation!

Well.. I had an extended period of time off work, and a few buddies and I decided to organize a cottage vacation. I was away for 13 days.. half of them on Georgian Bay, and the other half on a lake near Loring, Ontario, and the trip was a complete delight!

I've been wanting to buy my first boat for a while, and I finally made that purchase the first day of my vacation. I bought my friends uncle's boat. Its a early 1980's Mirrocraft with a 2001 15 HP Mercury (2-stroke) on the back.. a great starter package.. and we really put it to good use during the week.

MyBigVacation61.jpg

MyBigVacation60.jpg

Now that I was loaded up with a boat, and my fishing gear.. it was time to enjoy beautiful Georgian Bay!

MyBigVacation63.jpg

The second day we did a lot of work.. we worked all day.. 8am to 9pm.. but afterwards I snuck down to the dock for some after hours bullhead fishing

MyBigVacation6.jpg

The next day it was time to hit the water hard.. there were lots of Northern Pike and Largemouth Bass around the area.. and we laid into them pretty good.

between the two of us we caught 45 fish.. a lot of snot rockets.. but still a ton of fun.. my buddy got a chance to test out his first baitcast setup.. here are some pics:

MyBigVacation10.jpg

MyBigVacation17.jpg

MyBigVacation19.jpg

MyBigVacation22.jpg

MyBigVacation28.jpg

MyBigVacation30.jpg

MyBigVacation35.jpg

MyBigVacation42.jpg

MyBigVacation40.jpg

MyBigVacation44.jpg

MyBigVacation49.jpg

MyBigVacation54.jpg

MyBigVacation58.jpg

MyBigVacation79.jpg

MyBigVacation67.jpg

Unfortunately.. my time on Georgian Bay was over.. but the good news was it was time to meet up with family up 1.5 hours north.. The fishing wasn't as fast and furious as it was on G-Bay.. but being on a smaller lake was very peaceful, and I enjoyed myself very much.

Here are some photos of the second half of my trip:

Beautiful Canadian north that I had the pleasure of enjoying for a week - our cottage is on an island.. completely away from distraction and annoyance:

MyBigVacation91.jpg

At first we started off with mostly small guys:

RockBass8.jpg

MyBigVacation89.jpg

MyBigVacation99.jpg

But as the trip grew on, the fishing turned on a bit better:

The only fish I kept - a tasty eater Walleye:

MyBigVacation126.jpg

My first Smallie of the trip:

Smallmouth12.jpg

Better Sizes:

Smallmouth15.jpg

SmallmouthDecent.jpg

And now for the two best fish of the trip.. both surprisingly caught within 30 minutes of each other.. both caught in the same back-bay:

Beautiful Fat Gator:

28Pike.jpg

Monster Trophy Smallmouth Bass - WOW:

Smallmouth19Plus.jpg

and that does it.. I'll leave you guys on that high note..

the last day we woke up.. packed our bags.. cleaned the cottage, and headed home..

now I am back in Toronto.. and compared to up north.. the city sucks!

I had such a great time.. and can't wait to get back up north again.. Canada is beautiful, and we should all give thanks we live here!

I hope you all enjoyed my report as much as I liked posting it..

Thanks,

-TdotFisherman (Jay)

Edited by tdotfisherman

glad you had a good time. yea the small hammerhandle pike can be a nuissance.

A nuissance? Bring me to any area with loaded pike and I'll be one happy fisherman!

Thanks for sharing your report and pictures, congrads on that fat pike and beauty smallmouth bass! I'm hoping to get out on G-Bay around the end of August if plans work out.

MTBF

Now there's a boat! Nice outfit for most fishing.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a "starter boat". My grandfather fished from boats like this (and cedar strips) all his life and never wanted more. I've used something similar for most of my fishing, and I still have it and use it.

Great report.

Great report and pics Jay :thumbsup_anim:

Congratulations on the new boat and like others said.... got her slimmed pretty good :clapping:

On the last couple of pics, for a small lake.... sure produces some quality fish B)

Thanks for sharing

Leechman