Devil's in the kitchen

bigugli

Well, here I sit in an empty house. Anna is away for 6-8 weeks of treatment, the wife is also in hospital, and the son has moved out. Just me and the fish theiving dogs left. Oh Well :(

Life goes on.

Time to do some cooking. First we start with 15lbs of secret mixed ground (have to do something with the roadkill :P )

DSCN2658.jpg

Then add eggs, bread crumbs and seasonings. Roll into balls and flour.

DSCN2659.jpg

To establish a good rythm one needs some good down home music and copious amounts of wine.

DSCN2660.jpg

Pan brown

DSCN2661.jpg

Then toss in a roast pan with more copious amounts of white wine to simmer for 2 hours.

DSCN2662.jpg

Result, 600 Swedish meatballs and one slightly preserved cook :lol:

Bruce

That looks very yum yum.

I,ll take 4 doz of them. Ground turkey,with savory please.LOL

If you feel like,push a small piece of asiago cheese in the middle. ;):D

For a real treat I may just have to put them in a sauce of crushed lingonberries and Napoleon brandy( can't buy lingonberry brandy here in Canada)

I think you can still buy lingonberry (cloudberry) liqueur at the LCBO. I have a bottle called "Lapponia Lakka" and it comes from Finland. As you can see I need to get some more. :D

Mixed with a little brandy it might be just the thing?

P7162703.jpg

Edited by Jocko

Bruce. Boy if my diet lady catches me with a feed like that she would go freeky. I love nothing better than a good feed of meatballs with a cold one to wash it down. But comeing down to earth I guess I have to get in the boat and catch a few smallies .She says that feed or two of these are good for me. ;)

I bet you can get Peter Heering up there as well. Down here I have to cross the border to get good stuff. Specialty items are on a store by store basis where demand merits. There are a lot of Finns and Swedes up your way.

Lapponia lakka is the brandy. Cousin Hannu used to bring the odd bottle when he was working on Canadian projects.

Bruce. Boy if my diet lady catches me with a feed like that she would go freeky. I love nothing better than a good feed of meatballs with a cold one to wash it down. But comeing down to earth I guess I have to get in the boat and catch a few smallies .She says that feed or two of these are good for me. ;)

That mountain of meatballs is meant to last through to Christmas. The last large bag is saved for the Christmas smorgasbort

Lapponia lakka is the brandy. Cousin Hannu used to bring the odd bottle when he was working on Canadian projects.

You're right about the LCBO. It's maddening when you can only get certain brands at certain stores, and some not at all.

I checked the bottle again and it doesn't say it's brandy, but I guess a brandy base?

It's only 21% alcohol.

You're right about the LCBO. It's maddening when you can only get certain brands at certain stores, and some not at all.

I checked the bottle again and it doesn't say it's brandy, but I guess a brandy base?

It's only 21% alcohol.

The alcohol count has been lowered to meet laws here. Same happens to good rum or whiskey. Watered down for export to Canada eh!

The product may be altogether different here than what you sampled from Finland. It pours and drinks like a liqueur... you know, a little thick... and it's quite sweet, although not cloyingly so.

We get other high-proof alcohols from abroad - too bad we can't get this one. The taste is something I would really like if it were a straight full-proof flavoured brandy.

We can get Bacardi 80% rum (160 proof). We can also get high-proof (54% I think) Austrian Inländer spiced rum at the big Sudbury store... although the real Inländer they drink is 80%.

You should try some Inländer if you can. Awesome stuff, even at 54% (I have had both).

I wonder, is Drambuie, domestic Scottish Drambuie, higher proofed than what we get in the export variety? That stuff would be awesome at 80% - the Rusty Nails would not only knock your socks off, they'd raise your hair! :D

Here's a link to an interesting discussion about Inländer...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=57523

My parents (Austrian born) have always told me it was made from sugar beets.

Note what one poster says they call liquor stores in CT. Interesting what local customs are!

Anyway, I'm taking you pretty far off your topic of Swedish meatballs. :D

The product may be altogether different here than what you sampled from Finland. It pours and drinks like a liqueur... you know, a little thick... and it's quite sweet, although not cloyingly so.

We get other high-proof alcohols from abroad - too bad we can't get this one. The taste is something I would really like if it were a straight full-proof flavoured brandy.

We can get Bacardi 80% rum (160 proof). We can also get high-proof (54% I think) Austrian Inländer spiced rum at the big Sudbury store... although the real Inländer they drink is 80%.

You should try some Inländer if you can. Awesome stuff, even at 54% (I have had both).

I wonder, is Drambuie, domestic Scottish Drambuie, higher proofed than what we get in the export variety? That stuff would be awesome at 80% - the Rusty Nails would not only knock your socks off, they'd raise your hair! :D

Here's a link to an interesting discussion about Inländer...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=57523

My parents (Austrian born) have always told me it was made from sugar beets.

Note what one poster says they call liquor stores in CT. Interesting what local customs are!

Anyway, I'm taking you pretty far off your topic of Swedish meatballs. :D

Not really. A European cannot talk about food without talking about hootch :lol:

Kummel is a unique liquor of Dutch/German roots, used to come in a bear shaped bottle. Never available here. Been a long time since I've tasted that.