fly tying

GBW

Hey all.

So I've got this itch (no GCD, not that kind of itch ;)) to start tying up some jigs and I don't know where to start. I know that there is a ton to read, see and watch on how to's but what I want to know is this. What are the basic tools I will need to get started AND where in the GTA/Durham area can I get it at a good price? Thanks in advance.

Geoff

You'll need these basic tools:

1. Flytying Vise

2. Bodkin to hold the thread

3. Dubbing Needle

4. The best tying scissors that you can find

5 Fly head cement

Of course painted jig heads and different colours of bucktails too.

There are a lot of other tools that you can buyto make tying a little more enjoyable, like hair stackers, combs, dryng racks, Ott lights, etc.

Look around Cabels on line catalogues and the Orvis site (pricey) to get an idea of what kinds of tools are available.

Flyanglersonline.com has a pile of step by step instructions for flytying.

As for buying stuff. leBarons at Woodbine and 7 and Angling Specialties at Kenney south of Steeles would be my first two choice.

Be VERY VERY VERY careful, this can lead to a life long addiction that can surpass fishing itself.....enjoy!

muddler

Edited by muddler

You'll need these basic tools:

1. Flytying Vise

2. Bodkin to hold the thread

3. Dubbing Needle

4. The best tying scissors that you can find

5 Fly head cement

muddler

# 2, you'll want a bobbin to hold the thread.....

you will also want a bodkin though, different tool altogether

check out http://flytying.flyfishontario.ca for some tutorials and patterns also!

but yes, be very very careful as this is an extremely addictive hobby to take up!

as others have said - very addictive and can lead to an empty wallet very quickly

I started out tying jigs and other than the raw materials I didn't use any of the above mentioned tools....unless you have for sure decided to drop the cash and get into the hobby, you don't really need to....

I clamped a pair of pliers into my dad's bench top vise...works fine....I didn't use a bobbin, just wrapped by hand, you're not wrapping little #20 dries here, you can easily wrap by hand on a jig....you don't need a tool to tie a whip finish, it helps I guess if you're just learning but it is very easy to do by hand too....you don't need to drop 20-30 bucks on a pair of the best scissors you can buy....you're tying jigs, not exactly delicate work....just use what you have....

all of the above tool recommendations will make tying easier...but not necessary if you just want to tie a few for fun.

for materials to play around with I'd suggest the following in whatever colours you prefer:

-bucktail

-maraboo

-peacock herl

-yarn or chenile

-tinsel

-parachute cord

be sure to post some pics of your jigs too....always fun to see what others are tying.....

thanks again for all the tips folks!

Yes, I was a sucker and went to LeBaron again today and got a bobbin and a few other odd's and end's but the guy there was great. He told me that I didn't need those extra tools/toys as well for what I was going to "start" doing. Even a customer spoke up and showed me what I need and don't need and told me a few tricks. Who would of thought that the shiny stuff you toss in a kids easter basket as fill would make a good flash on a ripping-jig? I didn't but he did and told me where to get decent size bags for very little $ too :D

So, when I get a few done I'll post them in this thread but please keep the ideas and so on coming!

*thinks, oh no, I've gone to LeBaron 3 times in 5 days and still need to go back again Friday for 1 last item; this is going to get bad.... HAHA