Lake Baptiste - Lake trout?

jayess

Used to fish Baptiste a lot when i was younger, pulling out tons of bass, pike, and the odd muskies without problem...

This lake is classified as a lake trout lake, apparently. I understand it's pretty deep in the northwest end. Is this my best bet for lakers?

Any suggestions appreciated. I know of some nearby lakes that are stocked but figured I'd try my hand at this lake.

Cheers

When you say the "northwest end" are you referring to the area towards Elephant Lake? If so, that area is quite shallow and will not hold lake trout.

The south basin of the lake is the deepest area. That would be your best bet for lake trout. There is a steep drop off along South Baptiste Lake Road. That area out to Milliona Heir (Herchel Island) and the mouth of Dog Bay would be your best bet.

Don't forget to check the exceptions in the reg's. Baptiste has a slot limit and a short season for lake trout.

Thanks for the lure suggestions, unfortunately no down rigger available. Will have to rig up some sort of weighted system.

Sorry -- I shouldn't have said northwest end. Had my bearings all screwy. We are talking about the same area, just south of Dog Bay.

if i have time to grab some dipsy divers before i go up, i'll give them a shot. otherwise, i have some 3-way swivels and heavy bell sinkers that i rig up, or some bottom bouncers.

would it be wise to put on a heavier line for dipsy divers? right now i have 8lb mono on. just wondering if the extra pull from a dipsy diver might require heavier line if not a heavier rod. right now i'm using a medium heavy st croix

IF you have a set up with braid on it, run the dipsey off that. 8lb mono will stretch like a rubber band........if it doesn't break first.......behind a dipsey.

If you don't have a line counter reel, count the # of rips of line you let out, so you have a basic idea how deep your fishing, and you can do it again if you do get a fish.

There are a lot of better lakes for lakers in that area BTW.

S.

Thanks again for the tips.

As for better laker lakes, ya... i hear ya. The family is renting a cottage on the lake so I'm just making do with what I got. Might trek out to some of the nearby speck lakes if i get the chance.

Cheers

i rented a cottage there a few years back, maybe ten years ago.

had some success with lakers drifting the middle ripping bucktails tipped with minnows

mid summer they are sitting on bottom

big bass in that lake though!