A fantastic Event #4 at Centenial Lake

Badger Shark

First off I will say this was a terrific day! I have never fished this lake before and we were not disappoited.

Picked Eric up at 5:45am and headed out to pick up my boat. We hooked up with Mark on the 508 stopped in at Big Jims Bait shop in Calabogie and thats when the weather went nuts. Lightning everywhere and heavy rain. We knew it was going to be nasty and hoped it would pass us by and we could get out on the water as soon as possible.

Here is a shot of the drive in the rain.

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-22.jpg

Finally arrived at White Pines Resort and waited in line behind 5 other ORWL members launching their boats. I have to say this lake system is beautiful and I will definitely go back anytime. Wouldnt mind camping there either so if anyone knows of some good camping areas let me know.

We fianlly got launched and headed out to meet up with Mark, behind us was a flotilla of ORWL boats. I believe the first boat is Sheldon and Gord, then Bill and dont remember who the other one was sorry. Here is a shot of them. I think Sheldon was giving us a slute of some kind! :oops:

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-19.jpg

We met Mark and he helped us with alot of info and technique he uses on this lake. The rain was still coming down and when it wasnt it was cloudy foggy and misty, temperature was around 20, high humidity. I love it when it is like that. Wasnt loing before Mark had his first fish in the boat and before we knew it he had five already beofe we had any.

I finally got a fish on and it turned out to be a smallmouth. Not to long after though we finally got into the eyes and had 5 by noon, so it was all culling after that.

Mark took of to another location and we just decided to stay put as long as they kept biting and that was for quite a while. All but 2 of our fish came from this one spot. Eric also got 2 nice pike and we caught several bass, 8 I believe.

Here are some pics of the fish and the surrounding area.

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAKE03.jpg

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-16.jpg

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-8.jpg

This guy was sitting watching us for quite some time

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-7.jpg

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-5.jpg

Some of the many islands on the lake

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-4.jpgVery large storm to the south of us

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAK-1.jpg

Island where I picked up to more eyes jigging.

campingandORWLEVENT4CENTENIALLAKE05.jpg

All eyesexcept 2 were caught bottom bouncing using single blades in bright yellow and red devil pattern, we were mainly running on the downslope of shallow water from 10ft to 40 ft going less than one mph. We would feel the hit and then let them take it and then set the hook. We also lost quite a few fish with poor hooksets.

And as Sheldon said the boat control is very important especially when it is windy. I focused m ainly on staying over the fish while Eric fished in the evening. It paid off with him boating 5 more eyes.

Oh and by the way wer were using worms and leeches on the bouncers.

Once agian another great turnout and a great day. Looking forward to the next one and using the tips Mark passed on to us.

In total we boated 15 eyes, 2 nice pike and I think 8 or nine bass, a good day in our books.

Nice outing for the Eye Masters..... :worthy:

Wish we were the eye masters! If it wasnt for the information and education this new organization has to offer we would probably not have caught as many as we did.

We have 6 events left.

If anyone in the Ottawa region would like to come out to these events you can as a guest up to three times before having to join. This gives you the opportunity to check out what we are about and to meet a great bunch of guys and also learn more about walleye fishing.