LONG POINT BAY - Lake Erie - fishing

Roninramirez

We decided to visit my brother in Port Dover for the weekend to do some fishing. Looking at the shore lines along Lake Erie can be very intimidating for us Kawartha anglers. We were wondering if anyone has any tips for LONG POINT BAY because, this area seems to be the most protection for the gusting winds.

We found a few old fishing maps and the area is loaded with Smallmouth, Largemouth and Northerns

inner_long_point_bay.gif

According to the map the area is very shallow and murky, in and around the islands.

If anyone could help us find what good baits to use or locations or certain depths with weed lines that the fish would hold on. It would really help us make this a successful fishing trip.

Thanks

Ronin Fisher

We own a Lund Rebel XL 1625 w/ 50hp yammy.

no offense to the OFC but try stomps longpoint page, look at his maps and his advice, then read thru the latest talk on channel 6-8. hope for anything but an east wind. also be aware travelling from dover to the inner bay is almost always wet! start around ec10 and look for warm water, smallies are everywhere in the bay they like leeches.

Successful fishing trip first fishing trip on Lake Erie - Long Point Bay.

We started at 7am fishing 5 foot flats/ isolated weed patches right out of St Williams Launch. And right away landed a 2 pound large mouth on a spinner bait - Keying in on the certain type of weed that he was holding. We went searching for deeper weeds. And founds excellent weed lines in 10 FOT right off of Bait Island near turkey point. They looked like long fingers parallel to each other.

At first we position the boat in the weed lines casting parallel to the edges. Manage to land 2 nice keepers on a Spinner bait and X-rap. By around 9am we had already landed 4 decent Lake Erie larges. The fish started to move off on the edges in towards the lane ways in between the weeds. Had some hard hits in the open water off the spinner baits. My bro had a pike slam his spinner bait, but lost it at the boat. Awesome to see them strike your lure in clear water.

The lure of choice were Strike kings spinner baits - Root beer, White and chartreuse. We had more bites with fluorocarbon leaders. The water color is green medium visibility. Thanks for the tips from OFC. We were able learn lots about Long Point bay Large Mouth. The key was to locate visible isolated weed patches and fish the edges and laneways in between the weed lines. Our next trip will be even more productive with this knowledge.

**Most important** - watch the waves. Luckily our 16foot LUND was able to manage. But if anyone fishing with a smaller boat, I would stay closer to shore.

We fished for 4 hours and landed 8 large mouths.

RF

tight lines

Edited by R O N I N . F I S H E R