New carpet

stan_133

I'm planning on installing carpet throughout the entire basement in the coming weeks and am wondering if i can install the carpet and under pad directly over the concrete. i've heard a few people say that i should place a plastic barrier down first but at the same time i've been told that doing slow traps the humidity resulting in mold. i still have a few weeks to decide. any help would be great. thanks

I installed carpet for year with my old man.

Always put down the underpad directly on the concrete and used glue on the seams and edges.

I think the plastic would trap moisture from the concrete and cause problems.

It is a real pain to put carpet in a basement on concrete. We used to use "smooth edge" around the outside perimeter and then stretch the carpet in place with kickers. It was a real pain driving the concrete nails in to get the smooth edge to hold.

You may want to consider direct glue down carpet and forget about the pad, but to each their own.

nope ...no vapour barrier on the floor ...keep in mind the basement floor is at least 4 feet below grade ...even deeper depending on the style of house you own...then the concrete is 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 inches thick then several inches of 3/4 crushed stone to level off the excavated earth to the footings...

the temperature transfer variation is never great enough between the earth and the room air to cause sweating ( unless you have infloor heat ) in which you would have 2 inch SM Blue on top of your stone and then 6 inches of concrete) the earths temp is a constant 65 degrees and the room temp is not that far away from it to creat a sweat...exposed walls above grade have extreme temp variation hence requiring vapour barrier

I would invest in a higher grade underlay only for the comfort of walking on a cushy floor so that it doesnt feel like concrete under carpet

I think Pikehunter is on the right track - I've used the dricore panels with success and I've also used 4x8 sheets of tongue and groove plywood with the plastic dimpled barrier, from a roll, underneath the sheets and it works very very well and is cheaper than the panels.

Dan

You can install carpet in the basement.. they make an underpad specifically for this purpose... Yes concrete is porous and yes it can and will wick moisture. which is why they make this pad

Dricore is ok... but expensive. you can do the exact same thing cheaper, using delta and 5/8's or 3/4" ply... (non T&G)

Go with the concrete pad and enjoy the new floor.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Gerritt is bang on, concrete is pourous and will wick moisture. I form and pour basement foundations for a living. You are lucky to have 4 inches of concrete on your basement floor, I can tell you 2 inches would be average based on what I see the slab companies doing in new construction. Put down the Delta dimple wrap and lay down the plywood and you are good to go.

Edited by express168

Delta dimple wrap and lay down the plywood and you are good to go.

Gerritt and Express168 are correct, the Dricore is expensive each 2x2 panel costs between 6 to 7 bucks. Doesn't sound too bad...that is until you add it all up for a basement project. A lot of people come into the store and buy the dimpled plastic roll (intended to be used on foundation exteriors so water can run unobstructed to the weeping tiles) and cover it in plywood as it is cheaper, but the Dricore is a neat product with some advantages. Figure it all out on paper and see what is the best answer.

Oh yeah, be nice to hear how it all turns out for you.

You are lucky to have 4 inches of concrete on your basement floor, I can tell you 2 inches would be average based on what I see the slab companies doing in new construction.

you can blame that on builders who simply dont give a rats ass about the quality of their homes. its either pour the basement or they move onto the next contractor. i've poured basement floors on sand, gravel, clay, lumber, mud, etc. from 1" to 10" thick. i totally disagree with the garbage that goes on, but its do the job or get fired. i sure am glad im done with pouring concrete on the ground...

the delta and plywood option works great and is the exact same as the store bought panels, but quite a bit cheaper.