how will this weather affect the salmon run?

silvio

I remember reading once that a cool wet summer will trigger a early salmon run. The weather we been experiencing lately has been cool and wet but my concern is that without warm temperatures the fish will so how not develop or reach there point where they're ready to run the rivers in time frame they usually would. anyways basically my question is if the weather we are experiencing lately continues should we expect an early, normal or late run? lets see some people opinions also any information to back up there opinion wont hurt I may learn a thing or two.

Lake O hasn't even set up yet and it's July, if this cool wet weather holds small scattered runs with another season of crappy pier fishing but good river fishing starting end of August.

Temps don't trigger runs, trib volumes do. If it's a hot dry August with low tribs good pier fishing, crappy trib fishing.

this is a real good subject....it was always my belief that there are several variables to the "salmon run" temp , photosynthesis and daylight hours.

....as the daylight hours start to get shorter vegetation in the river and tribs starts dying off ..it creates carbohydrates in turn creating a starch and a sugar bi product...( river gets sweet and washes out to the lake) the fish then detect the taste of their place of origin and stage at the mouths for the temps to be ideal...( good pier fishing time)..now we know in the lake the ideal temp for salmon is 55 degrees F ...but due to the extra oxygen in the water from the decomposition of the river vegetation i think it makes the temp more tolerable for the salmon to run in 60 + degrees F water ( hence finding spawned dark salmon late Aug while the water is still warm) rare but it does happen)...by late Sept/Oct the daylight hours and cooler nights make water temps more ideal so we get to experience some "burst runs" ( afterall the eggs are still getting big from the nutrients of the river and you cant just "stop" their growth and when its time .....its time....whether there is a bull to fertilize or not...November comes and voila....prime conditions on all fronts and our beloved steelies know it as well to come get the free dinners (eggs) for fattening up to get them through the winter and the task they have in the spring ...

Now i should answer the question ....i think the cold wet summer is going to do wonders for the salmon run ...more rain = higher banks washing submerging more land with vegetation ...( sweet!!!!) My "salmon run" setup is ready now for the river..... but im not

Just my 02 cents ....

.....it creates carbohydrates in turn creating a starch and a sugar bi product...( river gets sweet and washes out to the lake) the fish then detect the taste of their place of origin and stage at the mouths for the temps to be ideal...( good pier fishing time)....

Associated Press

July 07, 2009

Today a Hamilton man was arrested illegally dumping 20lb. bags of sugar into Bronte Creek. Though most of his statements were incoherent he possessed a fishing rod with a glo spoon and was heard to be muttering comments about "The King".

If it stays stormy through August, like last season, the fish will stay scattered and never really bunch up. They'll trickle in slow but they'll never be the big rushes. If it gets real hot in August and trib levels drop they will spend more time staging and schooling up, then run in less frequent but larger pods whenever a few days of heavy rain triggers a rush.

Also as a rule of thumb I've found odd numbered years to be better pier fishing than even numbered ones. Don't have a clue why, it just works out that way.

LMAO...i Hope my explanation had nothing to do with this gents en devours.....good thing i didnt post the ONLY successful method of catching kings in the river during the summer months...which would involve depositing decomp from several graveyards and painting your face florescent green while chanting to the fish gods..." The King Lives!!!! Long Live the King!!!! Thank- You ....Thank You Very Much"

People amuse me ....

Its gonna be just like last summer if it continues.

I was hitting chinnys (and a few hos for that matter) third week in august last year.

Lots of rain thru the summer means scattered runs and a warm year with less rain means a big buildup and a few larger runs.

Besides, chinnies are only entertainment until the real fish show up

Guest steel'n'esox

The right lake temps close to the shore/pier areas with increased river flow do to rains, things can happen, a few years back like about 20 years ago the Ganny had about 30 to 40 Browns at the ladder in full spawning colors, and that same year in September the Gan also had a fresh run of Cohos as well. FYI there were still Bows up river been caught at the end of June, and when the old File Factory hole was still a hole, rainbows were always fishable in june and sometimes july

The main run in the Credit River came in early September last year. Salmon will run based on water temp and water levels. We had such a cool and wet summer last year that the river had above normal flows so it made for ideal conditions for them to run early. Many wondered where they went.....directly into the santuary! It doesn't really matter how the summer progesses, because you can have a hot and dry summer and get 50mm of cold rain in one day in August and it will trigger a run. Happened on the willy a few years back......they were in thick 2nd week of August.

Expect the tribs out east to get a run of Salmon first before any others.

CLofchik has some good points too.

Justin

To answer Silvio - photo period and genetics of the fish are the main factors in run timing. Our Pacific salmonids are from the West coast and carry their genetic timing. Once photo period (hours of daylight) are good it comes mainly to river temps and flow as stated above. Steelhead have a wide genetic range and thus run from August to June, with the November and March Peaks. Temps and flows are great in April, but a chinook or coho in the river is rare that time of year (but can happen).

The cold wet summer has fish delayed in the lake but that will not stop them from running. Only a drought and hot temps will. By early August any heavy cold rain could and likely will bring a few fish into some rivers. I have seen small pods of chinook on many Ontario tribs by late July on occaision and seen large runs by August 20th.

The more exciting question I would propose is : What will two cold, wet summers in a row mean to fishing salmonids in the future? My guess - more chrome!

John