Best time of Day for Grand River Smallies

ironstone74

Wondering when you guys do best at catching Smallmouth in the Grand. I have not had much success in the morning after first light, late afternoon and evening have been best this year so far. I have heard that a Smallies metabolism picks up as the day goes on therefore they feed more later in the day.

Any theories or experiences would be appreciated.

Paul

I fish the Grand a lot but not in the evening hours so I can't comment on fishing at dusk.

I CAN say that the early morning bite is good. It's funny how you can just watch the bite tail off more and more the higher the sun gets. By noon it's Miller time!

If I can't get the the river by first light, I don't even like going.

Interesting, I guess there are several good windows for hitting fish on the Grand. I must say I like the idea of first light the most. I'm a Steelheader at heart and first light is the only way to go for Steelies.

I hope to get out one evening this week an catch one of the monsters released from the derby at Bingemans over the weekend!!!

i'm interested in fishing the grand for smallies. I live in acton and can get to it around Kitchener or even up past belwood. Where would be a good place to start.

Thanks,

Curt

I fish from Kaufman's flats in Waterloo down to the Freeport hospital/King St. area. Lots of good stretches of fishable water, good option is to rent a canoe and float on down! I wet wade in my wading books and a pair of shorts which is fun, but takes more time to cover water.

Paul

Hey Guys,

I'm up for fishing the Grand this week and afterwards (I go to UW and are not super familiar with the fishing spots around the area). I made another post --> My Post.

If anyone wants to go, let me know!

Regards