Sports Scholarship Help

Hello

I am coaching a kid from the YMCA, he is an amazing Basketball player and I trying to get him looked at by an American University. At this point the only school that has responded to me with a positive e-mail was Pittsburgh University.

My player is only going into grade 8 but it is never to early to get his name out there. I was wondering if anyone on this Board has contacts down there or if anyone went down there on a scholarship. If so could you please help.

AL

I am no expert (not even close in fact) but I don't know who gets looked at in grade 8. The kids that I know that have been looked at have been playing rep ball somewhere and the team attends tournaments that the scouts are at usually I would guess, in the states.

I think the key to getting looked at though would be rep basketball.

Jim

I played provincial level baseball just over ten years ago, was recruited by a bunch of schools and got a full ride to a school in TExas. I went through all that your kid will go through. you can email me or pm me with any questions you have. I no longer have any 'connections' but can provide sound advice.

Tambo

For basketball the kid needs to be playing OBA rep ball. Then IF he is good enough he will make the regional and provincial development teams. If HTown is Hog Town which area? Ill direct you to a good program. As far as scholarships univercities in the US are not allowe to talk to students who are not registered with the NCAA clearinghouse. My son is being pursued by a couple differnet schools for a sports scholarship and if you want one you have to send video go visit coaches campuses etc.

Like everyone has already said this is really what he needs to do:

1) Be in highschool

2) Play Highschool ball, along with rep ball

3) Tell him to attend larger basketball camps in the US (my friend did this and he got a full ride and he was from Manheim!)

4) Contact schools, send videos of him playing...

My son played college football and then coached college football for two years. He would recruit high school players in the off season but was only allowed to talk to seniors because of NCAA recruiting rules so that may be your biggest reason you are not hearing much from US Universities.....