Pontoon Boats

camillj

I've been on a 26ft toon, with a 115 merc on the back. Let me tell ya, it flies!! NO PROBLEM to ski or even wakeboard behind it.

Awesome platform for fishing. Rough water is a breeze! I'd rather be on a toon than in my deep V hull anyday when its rough.

Wind is a bit of an issue, but pretty much the same with any 26ft boat I'd guess? I know my old mans 26fter with a full cuddy is a pain in the ass in a big wind at slow speeds, the toon would be a lot lighter anyways......so who knows.

S.

I'd rather be on a toon than in my deep V hull anyday when its rough.

It depends on what you mean by rough.

I don't think I'd want to be out in Nipissing rough on a pontoon.

It depends on what you mean by rough.

I don't think I'd want to be out in Nipissing rough on a pontoon.

Have you been on one when its rough? I was out on simcoe in one when it was pretty rough, and it was much more comfortable then in my boat. Where do you get the impression they can't handle rough water? Just curious......

S.

No I haven't been out on what I consider rough water on a pontoon. I've been out in what I'd call a chop - 1 to 1 1/2 ft waves, and there was no issue there.

I can just imagine, though, how a pontoon would behave in rough water on Nipissing, slamming that flat bow into a wave that basically would bring the boat to a shuddering halt. And if you were running with the waves, you'd get a double whammy of the bow digging into the wave in front while the following wave overtakes you from behind.

It could be my impression is wrong, but I would not like to be in a position to test it out. :)

Being in a good deep mono hull is bad enough in a Nipissing blow. I've done that often enough, and more times than I wanted to.

The reason I answered was because personally I would be careful about calling a pontoon a good rough water boat, every bit as good as a mono hull. To me it just doesn't seem possible. Maybe we picture two different things when we say "rough water".