tamagami houseboat rental

johnt7

the nicest of the houseboats on the lake are the three buoys that are in town and rented threw lakeland airways call and ask for darren or his wife, i owuld call soon as they book fast for the summer

the nicest of the houseboats on the lake are the three buoys that are in town and rented threw lakeland airways call and ask for darren or his wife, i owuld call soon as they book fast for the summer

Bang On!

there is also Leisure Island that rent Sea Turtles...an inferior boat than the Three Buoys... but still a load of fun..

If ya have a 14 footer to tow behind it's just great!

RFS

Excellent idea for a vacation.

Get on the rental right away! Houseboats on Temagami were all booked by February in past years.

The only downside to Three Bouys is that they are right in the town of Temagami on the east arm of the lake and it is a 20 km float to the main hub of the lake.

We rented from Ketcheneny a couple times a few years back, not sure if they are still around - nice boats and great people to deal with.

Tips:

- The fridge on the boat is propane and small, bring decent coolers, ice and frozen food.

- We brought our fishing boat and towed it, the house boat was slow (under 10 kph) and Temagami is big (40 km+ top to bottom) we would find a site to anchor then use our fishing boat to travel from there though the day.

- Get a map of Lake Temagami that shows shore campsites, great places to anchor and you can have a campfire at night - if there is no fire ban.

- I would get up early and travel by houseboat while making and eating breakfast and getting ready for our day, once we were ready we would anchor and go.

- The north shore of Ferguson Bay is a huge sand beach, you can wade out a long ways.

- Run the house boat at about 3/4 throttle rather than full open and it uses about 1/2 the fuel from point to point.

- Tons of smallmouth bass near shorelines, especially near beaver lodges.

- Pickerel fishing is best in the evening in August, find a hump and jig with worms or twisters

- The Perseid meteor showers peak around mid August, bring your beds up to the top deck of the houseboat and sleep under the stars watching for meteors.

Dan

With the economy being what it is and people taking "Staycations" the houseboats @ Three Bouys have been stationary for the past few weekends. There are a few out, but not like in the previous years. There were 6 or 7 h-boats tied to the dock yesterday, so I am thinking you could luck out by calling the Garehs (owners) as they may have an opening for when you need.

Can't hurt.

We rented from Leisure Island about 3 years ago. The boats are pretty basic. Toilet, but no shower or running water otherwise. Bring drinking water!

-boats have 9.9 hp 4 strokes - kind of slow

-propane furnace worked well, especially drying out inside during torrential rain.

-fridge was good size, stove burners fine, no oven

-no kitchen sink, wash dishes in pails or dish pan

-pontoons are super strong, so little worry about damage when boat bumps rocks on shore etc.

-boat well laid out, but might be crowded with more than 4 people.

-less expensive than 3 buoys.

IMO, it would depend on what type of houseboat experience you wished. If you plan to move around Temagami, the 3 buoys being quicker, would probably be the best choice.

On the other hand, we used the boat more as a base camp, and explored with our own boat that we towed behind. After a couple of days of floundering, found a good shelterd anchorage on the main island at the 'hub' of Temagami. (you'll see on the map) This enabled us to use the walking trail on the island, and walk to a lodge that sold bait, lures, etc. We were in sight of Ketchanany Lodge so could see where others were fishing. Another quick boat ride took us to a place that sold ice cream or the Native Reserve for a visit. Once went to town for fries just for the heck of it. Could fish from deck of houseboat for small pickeral. Hooked a laker but it got away.

We enjoyed this way of vacationing, your needs might be different.

I rented from Three Bouys Marina back in the '80's in the Kawarthan's. GREAT GREAT time. Did it again about 5-6 years ago with my cousin and his bitchy wife and she ruined the whole week. Rented that time from Egan Marine. The Three Bouys boats were MUCH better....the Egan boat's fridge would not work the whole week even after they caught up with us and changed it out........made things not good especially with "Donna" the witch.... all she was concerned with is how much everything was costing. I told her if you want to save money you should of stayed home......she didn't talk to me the rest of the week....no big loss there........bottom line if you do go with someone else pick the right people........the first time we did the second time we didn't......

Weather was great both times and I believe that can make and break a houseboat vacation...

tamarvacations.com down in the south arm, real quiet down there they pick you up at the end of old mine rd (temagami access rd) by barge and take you 8 miles to island 856., where you get your houseboat. each has full kitchen and frideg facilites, bathroom with toilet and shower. real nature lovers trip,. you can rent fishing boats there as well.

not to sound bitchy... ;) but what is the cost for a week?

The cost can vary very much depending on the size of the boat and which week of the year you want. Here are the two sites on the Kawarthan's that I know rent houseboats. If I did it again I would go with Happydays Houseboats.

http://www.houseboat.on.ca/

http://www.happydayshouseboats.com/index.htm

we were there this spring .Our buddies have been renting from Ketchenny for 9 years.Forty horse outboard and you you go to assess road a lot closer to main lake. New owners 2 years ago service is not like previous owner who would fly in and check to make sure we didn't run out.I stopped and started bringing tent.

http://www.ketchunenylodge.com/houseboat.html

I,m renting from Canusa. After Aug. 29 it,s seems to be a great deal 1300 plus taxes and ins . for a week.(sleeps 10 with 2 private double Beds and all the amenities !25 merc. so sould have lots of power)