Shore fishing help?

Angler16

Hey all just wondering if anyone had any ideas on where to go shore no more than 2 hours from Brampton. Me and my dad are looking to get out any help or suggestions appreciated :]

Thnx

L.A

Dunno if you like getting wet but we have miles and miles of shallow smb water around here. We wet wade in the summer, just an old pair of basketball shoes and a pair of tight sox to keep the leeches out from between yer toes. (I hate leeches). Even when the bite isn't on it's a pretty walk, and you can always dry off and drive 15 minutes to the tail end of Wildwood for some nice pike. If you bring a little maize you can hunt big carp and Redhorse or White suckers in the creek. There are also a few pools where the pike hang out. For a treat you'll occasionally come around a bend in the river and find yerself face to face with a deer and fawn, or a monster snapping turtle, or just a farmer on his tractor. It's all good. There's nothing like a 3 hour prowl in the water, followed by a few ounces of good scotch by the pool with a cedar fire in the pit, and then a bbq.

Well, that's not quite true. I'd have to say 6 hours on a bassboat in the Kawarthas ranks pretty high too, especially if garry2r's is cooking afterwards. ;)

If you want a guided tour of the Thames around Stratford and St.Marys, give me a call. It's about 90 minutes to drive from Brampton and we have lots of spots to try. I can't guarantee fish but I can promise you'll see some pretty scenery up close and personal and have a shot at a variety of fishies.

JF

Sounds like good times John. B) B)

Kenny G.

I think it is. It's different than standing around on shore waiting for the fish. We usually stay in the water for 3 hours or more moving from place to place. None of it is very deep. If you've never tried it, c'mon down. I'll take you for a creekwalk.

JF

Thanks all especially JohnF, maybe ill take you up on your offer sometime that would be something!

Any time.

You have to plan ahead so you're only carrying the minimum amount of gear. There's no way you want to be hauling a tackle box while you're wading for 3 hours or more. We often don't leave the water at all. I take a small selection of lures, plastics and hooks in a light shoulder bag, actually an old army bag. I've got a few extra bags if you don't have anything. And think shallow rocky water. Deep runners are a waste of time and money for this kind of fishing and dragging them along the bottom usually just results in getting snagged under rocks. Weedless tubes or weightless wacky worms are good. Floating minnows and other topwaters are good. Carry a leader (if you want) for the pike pools. I've just been using Seaguar leader fluoro. I can give you a bit of that. I prefer a short rod (5'6) because of the trees and bushes but a longer rod isn't a problem in most places.

If you are planning on doing it soon the water is still a little chilly for an extended wade. I'd probably wear waders or hip boots if you have them, at least until the water warms up a bit more, which it should do with the heat we're enjoying right now. For the most part we don't go deeper than 3' and actually don't even have to go that deep if we travel around to specific holes by road instead of wading all the way. That's why I have leather seats and rubber floor mats in the car. I don't take off my gear between stops. There's your creekwading methodology in a nutshell. :P

JF

Wading with light tackle is definitely my favourite way to fish. It gets you away from the crowds and forces you to stick to the basics -- a rod, a handful of lures, and maybe a lunch or snack to keep you on the water for a few hours. What could be better than that?

For creeks and rivers with rocky bottoms, don't forget to bring crayfish imitations in plastic or plug form. They drive the smallmouths nuts. :thumbsup_anim:

I've tried a vest but it's kinda warm when worn with bib waders. I have two small double-sided boxes that fit in the big pockets and I attached a lanyard to each with the other end on the plastic clip in the pocket just in case it fell out. For hemostat, clipper and scissors I keep them around my neck on shock cord (bungee cord).

I plan on taking the fly rod out more this summer so I was thinking of adding a very basic short backpack to my kit and carrying a telescoping rod with spinning reel for the days the flycasting gets too frustrating or the wind is prohibitive. The local store has a nice little rod by DAM that sounds decent by all accounts. I'm not thrilled about the extra luggage but I hate to miss any fishing when I've already wandered that far down the creek.

One other thing that occurs to me. I was up near Calabogie a couple of summers back and we came across a whole bunch of beautifully skinned poplar staves (staffs?) provided by some friendly beaver. I grabbed a couple of straighter ones and took 'em home. I sanded off the ends and drilled a couple of holes near top and middlefor a cord (strap) so I could sling it over my shoulder for wading. Makes a great river stick for the deeper fast moving spots or where I can't see the rocky bottom. It sticks up a foot or so past my left shoulder so it doesn't interfere with my casting motion. Us old fogies aren't as nimble in the water as you youngsters, and I hate getting soaked. It would be handy (if I ever remembered to take it) for navigating some of the steep riverbanks we climb up and down.

JF