Singing National Anthem every morning in NB schools

holdfast

Agreed and since when was Nationalism was a bad thing. Singing the National Anthem is paying respect to your Country.

Ummmm... it was a bad thing when Hitler did it, Stalin did it, and a lot of other people. I pledge my allegiance to humanity first, countries with man created borders second thank you very much.

I don't need to sing the national anthem to pay respects to my country, if I feel like I want to that's my choice not yours. Just singing an anthem or waving a flag doesn't make you a patriot, it's your actions.

For the record I'm not decided either way on whether the anthem should be enforced or not, me personally I didn't mind it through school. And I love Canada for the record.

If someone sings the anthem everyday but is committing crimes for example, does that make them more patriotic than someone who doesn't sing it? True love for land and country comes from interacting with people and the environment, not necessarily from singing a song.

One of the great things about our country is freedom of choice, and if you can't respect freedom of choice for some, then you are against a basic tenet that this country was founded upon.

Edited by Bass Killer

Some people are just hell bent on nonconformity....

If you tell them the rules, they have this deep need to break, change, or abolish them simply because it sets parameters, regardless of the reasons they are in place, and who they are meant to inspire, or exel.

Luckily Most of these idiots end up in Jail by the time they are 20, but unfortunatly for us some find themselves with just enough common sence to stay out of trouble. They are easy to spot though...

Generally they are quite miserable, alone and spend much time complaining on the internet in what is supposed to be their golden years...

Sure some might find it annoying to hear our anthem over and over, and some might find it annoying to be told they have to do something they don't like....

Suck it up.

Maybe someday we should all stand up in unison and tell these :asshat: 's how the majority of us normal folk find their complaining annoying.

geeze...

IMO There is literally no acceptable reason to cancel the singing, and playing of the national anthem in our schools, and I think anyone who has an issue with it should take their kids out of the public school system and home school them....its my right to have my children educated in tradtional Canadian fashion.

You don't like it...write book about it, or screw off theres plenty of countries on this little old rock so leave mine alone.

I guess I'm a wee bit defensive of my country, but I guess thats just Patriotism....who knows maybe 14 years of hearing that Anthem brainwashed me?

Or Maybe I just find it odd how a few vocal miserable dude's can cause such ruckus sometimes.

Peace,

I am a high school teacher and we sing everyday. About a 50-50 split English to French versions. Every stops, takes their hats off and stands.

I am not adverse at all to bringing the Lord's prayer back either.

Ummmm... it was a bad thing when Hitler did it, Stalin did it, and a lot of other people. I pledge my allegiance to humanity first, countries with man created borders second thank you very much.

I don't need to sing the national anthem to pay respects to my country, if I feel like I want to that's my choice not yours. Just singing an anthem or waving a flag doesn't make you a patriot, it's your actions.

For the record I'm not decided either way on whether the anthem should be enforced or not, me personally I didn't mind it through school. And I love Canada for the record.

If someone sings the anthem everyday but is committing crimes for example, does that make them more patriotic than someone who doesn't sing it? True love for land and country comes from interacting with people and the environment, not necessarily from singing a song.

One of the great things about our country is freedom of choice, and if you can't respect freedom of choice for some, then you are against a basic tenet that this country was founded upon.

That would be a Big Negative to you young fella. I suppose you would be the Goof that sits down while others face the Flag for respect during the Anthem. ( Love to see you pull that stunt in the States) Like it or not that flag is a symbol of the freedom that you enjoy. That flag is a National Symbol. I ask you, nicely, How in the world would you compare Canadian Nationality, Did you not agree we did the right thing to fight Hitler, to the Nazis and say the Revolutionary Guard in IRAN. Betcha when you tour outside North America you have a Canadian Flag stuck on the Knapp sac. by the way you dont have to sing it either to respect the anthem, chances are you dont even know the words and what they mean any hoot.

Whoa, I hope your not a Teacher, Politician, or anything else that's capable of misleading our Generations. Like it or not Man, This Country, needs Borders. I don't know what air your breathing, but if you think man or this Nation can survive without a Border, you better go to Afghanistan and learn how things survive out there. Its a Dog eat Dog world. Remember, every country has an Army, for some, its not their own.

Hi Holdfast, your last post was completely disrespectful and emotional. Learn when you're having discussion to use facts, and not name call. Calling me a goof out of emotion does not reflect well on your personality.

What may surprise you is most of the things you've said about me are completely false. This is because you associated me with whatever group of people you hate, and I'm not really sure why, can you specifically clarify what I said in my original post that turned you blue?

To clarify to you: I am not a goof, I do respect the anthem, I do recognize the flag as a symbol of my country, I don't wear a Canadian flag on my knapsack when I travel outside the country, I do know the words to the anthem in English as well as French, I do not want it to be canceled in the schools, and I never said countries don't need borders.

Perhaps you took the fact that I pledge allegiance to humanity before a country offensive? Why is that? That doesn't mean my country is not very important to me as well, but you seem to deduce that I hate Canada and don't know anything about it? What kind of logic are you following?

To come out with all of these allegations is downright disrespectful, and shows you are an emotionally charged man. My point is 'freedom' means having a choice. I personally like the anthem, but when people start enforcing ideas and ridiculing or threatening those who don't agree with them (as you have, even though I didn't disagree with you), that reminds me of tactics used by some not so favorable regimes.

Edited by Bass Killer

Perhaps you took the fact that I pledge allegiance to humanity before a country offensive? Why is that? That doesn't mean my country is not very important to me as well, but you seem to deduce that I hate Canada and don't know anything about it? What kind of logic are you following?

Last time I checked, there was no "humanity" consulate available to you when in a foreign country, if - god forbid, you ever needed help... Believe me, if you ever needed it, you'd be singing our anthem all the way home.

I don't get around here much anymore but do lurk occasionally - Holdfast just has his own special way with words... I personally appreciate his love for country so don't take it personally.