Speaking of Fathers

JohnF

Does anyone know this lake. My dad used to take me there every summer as a kid and just for old time's sake it would be fun to locate it again. We stayed at a rustic camp there but I can't remember the name of the place or the people that owned it. Dad passed away years ago so I can't ask him about it.

JF

I managed to find some directions to Devils Lake access rd. Not entirely what you're looking for but better than nothing?

Directions: From Minden, take Bobcaygeon Rd. to Deep Bay Rd. (County Rd. 2) and continue to the Devil’s Lake access road. Or, take Hwy 35 south of Minden through Moore Falls to Deep Bay Rd. and follow to the Devil’s Lake access road. ** pick-up at the intersection of Country Rd. and Hwy 35 (just south of Moore Falls) must be arranged as parking is not permitted.

There are directions to a hiking trail....I'm sure with a bit of more refined searching you can get more specific info...

Maureen

More info : It's now called Salerno lake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salerno_Lake ,

Edited by motv8tr

I managed to find some directions to Devils Lake access rd. Not entirely what you're looking for but better than nothing?

Directions: From Minden, take Bobcaygeon Rd. to Deep Bay Rd. (County Rd. 2) and continue to the Devil’s Lake access road. Or, take Hwy 35 south of Minden through Moore Falls to Deep Bay Rd. and follow to the Devil’s Lake access road. ** pick-up at the intersection of Country Rd. and Hwy 35 (just south of Moore Falls) must be arranged as parking is not permitted.

There are directions to a hiking trail....I'm sure with a bit of more refined searching you can get more specific info...

Maureen

More info : It's now called Salerno lake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salerno_Lake ,

That's great. Thanks. I do remember the name Irondale coming up as well way back when. I've been searching for it for a while now but always as Devil's Lake.

Wikipedia missed catfish in it's list of fish, of course it was back in the 50's we caught them there, but there were loads of them at our end of the lake. We'd harvest a bunch and then motor up the lake to meet some Americans mid-lake and trade their catch for our catfish one for one. None of us wanted to eat the catfish. They were little browny black monsters about 12" long. I would be happier handling a snake than one of those things back then. I haven't actually caught any myself since my comeback so I'm not sure if seeing pics of all these OFC hemen (-persons??) handling them so casually has strengthened my resolve or not. There's every probability that the first time I catch one by myself I may well have to go to "the glove". :blush:

JF