love2fishhave2work

I hope the expert or novice salmon/lake trout downrigging folks on this board can help.

I have a 18ft Sylvan with a 115hp on the back so I think I can handle the big water of Simcoe or Lake Ontario on a relatively calm day and have decided to outfit the boat with downriggers and to include salmon and lake trout in my occassional fishing rotation.

Besides launching the boat and knowing how to operate it, I have absolutely no clue on this type of fishing. I am a usual weekend bass/pike/walleye hack.

I would love help in the following areas if you can take the time. Advice on the type of downrigger to purchase, advice on the type of rods I need, advice on the type of lures and other accessories that I will need trying to keep a reasonable budget in place. Will I need to attach a kicker motor or will my 115 suffice? I plan on fishing in July and August out of Mississauga or Bluffers being the ideal launch sites or Lake Simcoe for Lakers.

If there are experts or just people that know more than I do on this thread that want to join me on my maiden voyage or two and share some advice and experience, I would love to take you out with me.

All help welcome.

will your 115 troll down to 2.5 mph? if so your fine for the big lakes salmon/trout.

As for equipment I always preferred big john electric units and shimano tdr rods with diawa sealine reels but that is a complete other debate.

Your best bet would be to get a salmon charter out for the day with a couple buds and pick the captain brain see how he sets up the boat and runs his lines and see if you actually like that style of fishing

PM me and ill take you out on Lake Huron and run you through the ropes ...im a very accomplished salmon fisherman...but for me to post my tactics on here will just make it tougher for me to win stuff in future derbys

Welcome to the big fish world

scotty electrics would be my choice... i have walker electrics

rods Shimano TDR rods 8 - 8'6 for riggers 9'6 for dipsys

Line counter reels - best you can afford... Convectors are a good mid-entry reel, tekotas are the best

salty rod holders for dipsys

dipsys can be wire, mono or braided line...

Lures: Trolling Spoons, spin doctors and flies

Best way to learn is to get out with someone who knows...

Where are you located?If you want to come down Oakville way I would take 5 minutes to take you out and teach you all I know.It's not much but it's enough to get you started.

And my choice of riggers would be nothing but Scotty's.

Dan

I agree with justin.elia sign-up with spoonpuller.com or lakeontariounited.com and get tons of info. Went out with fishhunter (Capt. Lloyd) this weekend and I learned a lot of techniques. Great Capt! BTW he is offering an outing this Sunday, visit his post in Hook-ups section.

Good luck!