Best marine batteries?

jat

I am looking at getting a 12 volt battery for the Traxxis 55 lb thrust transom motor from minn kota. Can I use any make battery with this unit? I will be recharging this unit at home since its for my canoe. I will be getting the MK 110p charger for it, comes from Minn Kota. I'm new to all this stuff so any advice is appreciated......thanks

For starters, there is only a very small listing of battery manufacturers, Johnson, Interstate, Exide and maybe one or two others, most batteries are "rebrands", big plastic sticker on the side. You want the "best" battery, either Trojan or Oddessy. Lots of dollars with a good warranty. You can get a resonably priced Deep cycle no name from Total Battery for about 1/2 of what you'll pay for the above kind. Go minimum with a group 27DC or better is a group 31DC. I just picked up a 27 DC for $79. Cheaper than Costco, Wmart, or CTC.

You will want a deep cycle battery. Cranking batteries, marine or not, aren't designed to be discharged and recharged over and over. Brand isn't an issue with the motor, or with your recharger, any brand will work.

When it comes to batteries, bigger is better because big batteries hold more power than smaller ones.

In the chain stores like Costco, Wal-Mart, CTC etc. Group 27 is the largest I have seen.

I picked up two Group 31's from a battery dealer in Peterborough. They were $140.00 each plus tax, but I am very happy with them.

If you need more info PM me.

Edited by garry2rs

For what you are doing get yourself a Walmart DEEP CYCLE battery either a group 27 or 29 or if you have a Sam's Club better yet.

Charge said battery EVERY TIME you get back home....check the water lever at least once a month and said battery will last 4 years or more.

Bob