Southern Ontario Help

10point

Hi all. I am new here and married a Canadian 14 years ago. We are coming up in August from Indiana to visit my wife's parents in London, ON. Most of the time we will be out near Thamesford. Is there any fishing I can do near there? I am not very experienced just looking to fish for anything. Any suggestions? I have no idea where to begin and my relatives up there do not fish.

Hi all. I am new here and married a Canadian 14 years ago. We are coming up in August from Indiana to visit my wife's parents in London, ON. Most of the time we will be out near Thamesford. Is there any fishing I can do near there? I am not very experienced just looking to fish for anything. Any suggestions? I have no idea where to begin and my relatives up there do not fish.

There are probably folks here who know more about the area but I always think there should be something in the water off that park area just north Of Dundas St (Hwy 2) in Thamesford. Turn left at the Tim Hortons and the park is on your right almost immediately. Looks like bass water (smallmouths) pike, and naturally carp and suckers. It looks like there are some good weedbeds in the summer. There are even some trout in some of the creeks down that way so who knows. I'd sure be tempted to give it a go.

The other option is to go anywhere on the Thames which runs down from St.Marys to London just slightly north of where you'll be. Find Thorndale and look slightly west of that. If you're adventurous find Plover Mills Rd or Hwy southwest of St.Marys and try any bridges you find. Bass and pike generally are there. Wading's easy or just fish from shore. The water isn't too disgusting. We wet wade regularly and haven't had any body parts fall off yet. Closer to London you may even run into some walleye or even gars (so I'm told).

The London guys (like Beats) can fill you in on that area better than me. Rick (Woodsman) might be the best to talk to about the Thamesford/Thorndale area.

Speaking of Rick, the tail end of Wildwood conservation lake is very accessible and produces great pike plus some very nice smallies. You can park and fish from the causeway easily. Fishermen drive all the way from Toronto to wet a line there. It's only about 15 minutes up the road from Thamesford. PM me if you want a map. Or better yet, let me know when you're coming and I'll try to arrange an excursion out there myself. I keep saying I'm gonna do get some pike there and have only been out twice. NO PIKE YET DAMMIT. But I had Marko with me once and he jinxed me. The other time it was so windy I had heavy spoons flying back at me. Since it's only a 15 minute drive for me I'm up for another shot at them.

Good luck and let us know what you find. And don't forget you need a licence in Ontario. They have a temporary visitor's deal I think. Not expensive at all. Check it online under MNR fishing.

JF

John,

We will actually be out at my inlaws cabin at the Methodist (I think) camp right there in Thamesford. I think I know right where that Tim Hortons is you are talking about. If so we can walk down to that creek or whatever it is their in Thamesford.

Thanks for all the info. Are there any crappies or bluegills in any of these places that I might be able to get some kids on?

What about a place that I think is called Lakside? My wife has taken the kids swimming there a few times.

John,

We will actually be out at my inlaws cabin at the Methodist (I think) camp right there in Thamesford. I think I know right where that Tim Hortons is you are talking about. If so we can walk down to that creek or whatever it is their in Thamesford.

Thanks for all the info. Are there any crappies or bluegills in any of these places that I might be able to get some kids on?

What about a place that I think is called Lakside? My wife has taken the kids swimming there a few times.

You can easily walk down to the park from the Timmies. In fact that river runs right on past the back of the Timmies. I've not heard of any great fishing at Lakeside. But if you can get there you're really close to the Harrington end of Wildwood which has some good pike and bass. There's a pond right in Harrington that used to have fish in it. Don't know if it still does though. There are also some creeks out in that area that will give up some nice little trout but I can't help you with exact locations. Don't see crappie around here often, at least I haven't. They have 'em down London way I believe. The closest we have to those big bluegills you guys get south of the great lakes are rather puny sunfish, more like a colourful rock bass. Someone else may know where to find bigger ones but I've not seen 'em. There are rock bass pretty much everywhere for the kids. I'd bet they're in that area by the park for sure. Just dangle a piece of worm or even a small curlytail grub. Gold colour works for me.

JF

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I take my daughter(11 yrs old) just below the dam "across the street from Tim Hortons" for bluegills..

Fish right below the dam... great fun and please take some pics for us

enjoy your visit here in Ontario

( don't forget the fishing license) :Gonefishing:

Edited by splashhopper

Fish right below the dam... great fun and please take some pics for us

enjoy your visit here in Ontario

( don't forget the fishing license) :Gonefishing:

What kinds of bait do you guys use for bluegill up there? Are there any keeper size ones in there?

worms with a float for the kids work well..

what do you consider "keepers" ?

note...

this is not the spot for "lunker bluegil's"....

:Gonefishing:

Not sure, my daughter likes catching anything but I just thought it might be nice to be able to eat some fish at camp.

Depending on the time of year your going to be here...Early July will produce jumbo yellow perch in Port Bruce off the pier...its on lake erie well worth the drive from Thamesford and you can eat your catch...use a pickerel rig with worms or minnows ...ya might even hook an wally but between the perch and sheephead you and your daughter will have a good day...

The pond in reference between Thamesford and London used to be stocked with trout and has been known to turn out a decent size sturgeon ( but its been quite a few years since i fished it )...

Just another suggestion

Good Luck

Sounds to me like the river may be your best bet. If you decide to venture a bit further Harrington can be a lot of fun. I haven't fished Lakeside in years there were a ton of bass and some perch and pan fish but last I heard the owner was not allowing fishing. A little South of where you are staying( 5 miles) is the South branch of the Thames, you can find some descent bass and Pike all along this river. Hope this helps.