Penn 209 - opinions?

siwash

Depending on your application .... fabulous ... I use them to troll lead line and they are indestructible ... I also use one to troll 30lb mono for big toothy critters ... and love it ... as a casting reel ... well there are probably better options ... but I am a huge fan of the 209 (and 309) and have a number that are almost as old as me .. and thats OLD !

Edited by camillj

I love 209 & 309's.

Silky smooth drag, large capacity, great clickers and bulletproof. The downside is slow retrieve rate. If you're buying new, have a look at the 209LC - linecounter. The benefit of a linecounter plus a slightly better gear ratio.

I've got a 209. Had it since about 1977. Nice smooth reel for trolling, but yes, the gear ratio means a little extra cranking.

If I recall correctly, the main difference between older ones and newer ones is that the newer ones have a plastic spool instead of metal. I don't think that would matter much.

Just bought a pair of these for $40! In very good condition. They're made in the U.S. so a bit older but probably better than the "made in china" 209!

Both reels were spooled with flee-flicker...

I think I got a good deal...

209s and 309s are as solid as they come -- great reels. Often find the older ones (as good as new) on E-Bay for peanuts.

Ya, but Ebay's a pain in the arse.. shipping, waiting, unexpected costs...plus yu don't know what you're buying... I saw mine on Kijiji (the best thing ever invented) got in my car and drove 15 mins, inspected what I was buying and paid $20 each for spooled and quality reels..