Lake Nip.

Flappn

Morning everyone. We are heading up to Sunset Cove Lodge on Callendar Bay. We normally fish Callendar this time

of year with success however at a different resort. The immediate fishing grounds are new to us.

Two questions:

1st) how has the fishing been on Nippissing this week/month? Has anyone been our recently? Have the

walleye moved out to the humps or can they still be found shallow?

2nd) Has anyone been to Sunset cove and how did you like it? Was it located in a good area of Callendar bay?

Any information would be very much appreciated. Looking forward to some Nippissing Walleye.

Here is a Pic from last year.

DSC01918.JPG

Sunset Cove Lodge really isn’t in/on Callander Bay; it’s more or less at the top of South Bay. Which isn’t a bad thing other then you’ll likely be fishing more of the main lake. Haven’t fished that area in the summer for a long time; but with a good graph you’ll be able to find the humps & bumps along with the Walleye.

The lodge owners and the staff treated us great every time we’ve been there during ice fishing; so I doudt the summer attitude would be any different?

The one thing about the main lake is that it can turn rough pretty quick, when the wind picks up. The one year; when we stayed at Bear creek cottages (just down the road from sunset); the wind just wouldn’t stop. To the point that the lodge owner loaded up a bunch of his boats and his gests and drove us down into Callander; so we could fish the bay. It was just too rough out on the main lake, too go out with the cedar strips, let alone get to Callander by small boat.

It was still a good time, just a little extra driving back and forth from the lodge and Callander.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

I had planned on my first post here being a report full of pictures of the walleye and pike caught while I was at Sunset Cove last weekend. Fishing did not exactly go as planned, but here are my thoughts.

As a previous poster mentioned, Sunset Cove is not on Callander Bay, it is on South Bay.

I went up there with 4 other guys and our 6 daughters aged 4-7. We hit the water late Saturday morning on calm waters with a clear sky overhead, and not surprisingly caught nothing. The wind then blew up Saturday afternoon which kept us off the water.

I woke Sunday morning and it was snowing and very windy, 5-6' swells. Clearly no fishing was going to happen. Finished making pancakes for the kids and the power went out - no DVD's for the kids :o Power came back on a few hours later, still snowing intermittently and still very windy and rough. We managed to get back out on the water for a short burst Sunday evening, the water had cooled off about 5 F during the day, and the fish weren't biting.

Monday morning and it was cold and raining. We packed up and drove home.

From a fishing standpoint the weekend was a bust. We caught about a half dozen smallmouth, all released, and one sheepshead, also released. I blame the weather more than anything else for the lack of fish. We are also not exactly a seasoned bunch of anglers, and we weren't able to really fish as hard as we wanted with the little girls on board.

Despite the fishing, we had a great weekend. The girls had a blast, the guys had fun, we had a nice cottage (Deluxe #1) and the hosts at Sunset Cove were friendly and helpful. If I was to go Nippissing again I would consider Sunset Cove.

Hope you have better luck on the fishing front than we did, please post how your trip went.

PS - if you find a Belle Princess Toothbrush please let me know, it's my daughters ;)

I was up at Calender bay last week after the rain and with an over cast fishing was great pike all day long in 9'-12' and walleye 15'-18' as long as your boat is slow enough, I used worm harness for the walleye and meps #3 for pike I never got to try bottom bouncers in the deeper water but will be up there next week will try than.

Well I was there on the Long weekend with 15 other guys playin poker and fishing! We had a great time, Pia and Alfons are the best at making you feel welcomed. We caught walleye, pike and OOS bass. Lots of fish within 1/2 mile of the resort and you could get in behind the island for shelter if you could get around stormy point. Start out deep in the day and move in by the islands in the evening as that is what the walleye will do. Have a great time and make sure you order the breakfast as it was awesome and they will make sure you are well fed!

Rob

We were out last night for an hour or so scoping out some new area's to fish ,the black flies are awfull back in the bays but not bad at all closer to the lake.

As soon as you start heading down the river you get the flies,it doesn't help that there has not been a dragonfly hatch yet as of 8:50 am Thursday June 4.

nice - thanks for all the info guys.

Flapn, myself and the rest of the gang are heading up tonight, and everyone is looking forward to it. We always try to temper expectations in case the weather acts up or the fish are off the bite, but its hard not to get excited about the first fishing trip of the year. We normally do very well at the 'other' resort, but i'm sure this one won't disappoint.

3 boats, 3 'teams' with some friendly wagering. should be goodtimes!