Scugog May 31 aka Gone with the Wind

Yellow14

I was planning to try fishing off Caesarea pier and some other locations in Port Perry for panfish and possibly a walleye. My Fiance decided she wanted to come with me so we headed out at around 8:30, it was cool and the forecast was for it to stay that way more or less so we brought extra jackets. Crossing the causeway I noticed there were only two people fishing which was odd, and then I noticed the waves, it was pretty rough but we persisted on to Ceasarea after getting some worms and a couple black bucktail jigs from the baitshop, apparently they are working really well on Scugog this season.

Once we made it to Caesarea and parked the wind was howling. I watched three boats try to launch off the dock and only one made it with the other two giving up. The one that made it looked like he was having second thoughts too once he was on the water. My fiance was already freezing after about five minutes and I had my doubts about catching anything but I had to try. I made a few casts which must have sailed 50 metres thanks to the winds and then gave up as I didn't expect much action and even I was getting cold. We are going to try again next weekend, hopefully the winds will be lighter.

Oh dear. My pops and i actually managed to get out there on Scugog from 7:30-10:30 before we called it a day. We rented a boat from Goreski's and braved the cold winds for a few hours. the little 9.9hp was about as effective as rowing in those winds..

We basically took the boat as far out to the middle as we could and let the winds throw us back into the bay. we managed to catch a few crappie and perch. my dad had a very nice fight with a chunky muskie no good pics though as the fish did not come out of the water, netted and quick release. (just a few splash action shots lol) that was enough excitement for us on a day like today. hit the shore grabbed lunch and headed home.

I tried Friday night and couldn't do it because of the wind. Just went for a boat ride instead.

I tried Saturday and got out for a couple hours (managed a nice 22 incher for "first slime" in the new boat) then got rained out. Was going to go again today but the wind is too much. maybe tomorrow will be better.

My wife and I were in Lindsay today shopping but I had to check out the river.Just using a 1 1/2" red and white tube and float I caught a dozen or so rock bass, 4 perch raised a nice largemouth about 2lbs and the surprise a 14" walleye just beside the boat launch.This was on the Sturgeon Lake side of the dam.Didn't keep any,was really hoping to get some crappy and if I had one or two the wally would have went home too.The wind roared all day.

Kerry

me and my buddy went out last night more towards the Nonquon River off of scugog .. started off using bucktails but got fed up with all the weeds. then switched over to crankbaits.. which led me to catch TONS of rock bass! but gave up that spot.. started heading up the river 3/4 throttle on the 9.9 / 14' tin... with all lines out of the water.. the next thing we see is a big splash and a 2 foot musky hanging off the end of my crankbait rod that must of been hanging over the side of the boat..oh boy that could of turned out bad and wrecked my day..! lol we ended up getting the lunge in the boat and releasing it asap.

all in all we fished from 6 till just after 9 and we caught everything from a few largies, rock bass, 2 crappie, a musky and only caught 1 walleye just over a pound.. all caught on crank baits and gulp minnows etc.. in the end it turned out to be a fun time on the water.. we were off the main body and up in the river.. there for the winds gave us no problems. though it did get chilly and we ended up pulling out the survival suits.