Algonquin Park Stocking lists

johnnyb

The best lakes in the park are not stocked. So dont pay any attention to the list. You want to catch fish. PORTAGE!!!!!!!!

AMEN. Same holds true anywhere. Effort (99% of the time) = success. Specks can be a picky lot in certain weather but I find nothing as rewarding as busting my ass to get to a lake and having it pay off.

Sometimes you work hard and its a bust. No worries it just gives you a place to send your buddies that slept in that morning.

So, is there any characteristics you look for in a potential speck lake? Or is it just the harder to get to, the better? And when you do get in, and don't catch anything...how do you know if it's just that there's no trout in there, or that there ARE, and they're just being picky?

Edited by johnnyb

Map work is a great start. Look at the surrounding topography. A general rule of thumb is to look for lakes surrounded closely by hills. This most often suggests the lake has a decent drop near the shoreline and may have enough depth to hold fish. In a similar vein look for inlets/outlets to the body of water. Do these lead to other lakes/river? Is this a part of a system? If it is attached to a larger lake/river chain with fish chances are it will hold fish.

Often shield lakes (as observed through sat/aerial photos) are relics of receeding iceage water and will often have fish populations "stranded" when post-glacial melt waters dropped.

That being said. I have caught many specks (some big ones) from very non tradiational type lakes. As long as the lake will allow overwintering (in one spot!!) there most often will be fish.

Conversations with area biologists can provide leads but the best way is still put some miles on bushwhacking with a canoe or snowshoes. When you find a honey hole tell NO ONE. I have seen small spots ruined by knowledge sharing. Even take care of who you bring in. Often smaller lakes cannot sustain fishing pressure.

The group of guys I speck fish with have taken to renaming lakes we frequent...broken snowshoe lake, #1, waste a day lake.

The group of guys I speck fish with have taken to renaming lakes we frequent...broken snowshoe lake, #1, waste a day lake.

Dont forget No Limit Lake, Mud Hole Lake,Skunk Lake, No Name #356, and Jeff...LOL

beautiful info Jay...the itch for specks is getting worse! Walked into one this spring that I've looked at for a long time...was able to work a portion of it from shore, but got no action. Saw a loon patrolling one particular spot, which led me to believe it was nesting, which further led me to believe there's enough fish for it to feed on in there. A reasonable deduction, or not something to base judgement on?

Its a good sign...I wouldn't think a loon would set up its nest site where it would have to use extra energy to find food on the next lake.

Nature is all about conservation of energy.

Good way to see if theres fish around is hang a worm or leech on a slip float. Usually will take fish even if the bite is slow.

Edited by troutologist

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Dont forget No Limit Lake, Mud Hole Lake,Skunk Lake, No Name #356, and Jeff...LOL

Don't forget the snowdrift river, Lost Stringer Lake, and my personal favourite Dirt Road Superbowl Lake.

North Tea...that's fantastic :lol: M or S I appreciate the offer....will definitely fire you a PM here and there...thanks man :thumbsup_anim: And thanks for the valuable input, Jay...discussions like this are why I love this board