Around the North in 3 Days May24 report

Well heres my delayed report on my long weekend excursion. Ended up with the long weekend off unexpectededly. Trying to decide at the last minute what to do. Algonguin? Temagami ? Stay around home? Find new water?

My buddy John and I opted for the latter. Which direction to take-well the only one that interests me is NORTH!!!

We pack up the Yukon and leave 4am on Friday morning. Lets go as far as we can first then work our way back. Tunage and Timmies and its off to Timmins. Weather was warm but when we got up into the general area we were going to start in there was still tons of snow. We were here to fish new water but did fish this lake which didnt produce for us this day but had produces lots of fish the other time we visited it.

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4_fi.jpg

This lake is unique because it in the middle of an old forest fire burn. The lack of shore cover really hurt the fishing because of the bright sun Friday.

We had fished this lake before however so it was time to move on to new water. We had come up specifically to canoe and fish a river in the area. But the warmer weather was melting all the bush snow and rivers were up 4-5 ft over bank full. Still we managed to canoe a section of the river but caught nothing. Conditions were less than ideal. As water temp was still below 50 degrees(48) We loved what we saw though and will be back in the future during prime blackfly season to catch the big brookies we know exist here.

Still some monster snowbanks on the shore of the river.

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-2.jpg

End of day one new bodies of water fished 3 / fish produced zero.

Slept in the back of the Yukon after beer and fire. Woke up and decided to head a little south to the Temagami area just for the better veiws. Weather was good temp wise but the winds were starting to pick up.

We have an excellent map of this region that we obtained years ago showing all thwe lakes and what fish they hold. We hit 5 lakes Sat and the first one produced the most.

First fish of the 09 season for me. A spunky 12" on a PM and chunk of dew.

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-3.jpg

Caught a couple more like this every drift down the west shore of the lake. The fish were holding at the break just off of tree cover.

Wind was really picking up and canoe control was getting difficult so we decide that we will troll to the south end of the lake a little deeper with both of us paddling. It resulted in a nice 18" right away for me.

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-4.jpg

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-5.jpg

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-6.jpg

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-7.jpg

My buddy did catch fish but his was the only camera working so his pictures were difficult to take but here is one

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-8.jpg

Got one more beauty male about 15 or 16 inches and then moved on to some new lakes.

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-11.jpg

Par for the coarse the winds became super strong and the temp plummeted killing the fishing but we did find a lot more lakes that we want to spend some time on. So we parked the truck in the middle of nowhere turned on the stereo and got rip roaring on Keiths. The plan was to fish a lake off of lake Temagami on Sunday but the winds made the lake uncanoeable. Plus we didnt wake up till noon after our over indulgence of the previous evening. We hate long weekend traffic so we headed home to beat it. Wasnt the most productive trip in terms of fish but it set up a bunch of future trips. And gave us an idea of when we should be hitting some of our fav BT rivers(couple of weeks). Hope you enjoyed. PS also ran into this guy a couple of times Ive got video footage on my cell phone just have to find the box so I can get the USB cable and program to download it

BC_trip_spring_09_and_09_May_2-4-12.jpg

Edited by Musky or Specks

Always the most fun went to Labrador on the spur of the moment once one of my best trips ever.

Would love to pick your brain. I'm considering driving out to Labrador city and poking around.

Only thing is, non residents need a local "guide" or you're fishing illegally. Pain in the :asshat:.