Stoney Lake Weekend Report (A Killer Sunday)

ozaibak1

Hi all, been since ice-fishing since my last report. I have to apologize that I did not take pictures this trip, we got into a hotspot in the last 3 hours of our trip and I was not expecting the performance we had.

Stoney Lake is my favorite lake of the Kawartha Lakes I've fished so far. There are actually 17 Kawartha Lakes I believe, more than I thought there were. Of these I have fished 6, Stoney is still my favorite for two reasons: best fish quality and numbers, as well as how sparse it is on boat traffic.

Anyways, this was my first time on the boat since last August! Target of the trip was walleye, we caught none, but thats not a problem.

We fished Saturday through the storm, lots of rain, it was nostalgic. I actually enjoy the rain now, its a side effect of fishing. This time, we even fished through some lightning and thunder, but turned it in because the fishing wasn't that great.

Sunday morning sucked as well. Weather was fair, fish were not.

That's when I took a tip I learned on this message board, that it warms up on the north side of a lake first. We had been fishing the far south side of Stoney because that was closest to the cottage, we didn't want to venture too far out in the storm.

The plan was, in our last 4 hours before we head back to Toronto, we will hit the far north side of Stoney at Burleigh Falls, this was about a 20-25 minute trip in our 15ft 10hp rental.

We got there, and I was all set to catch my first walleye. Within minutes I snag a work of art (Blue Rapala Slashbait) on a rock and it breaks off. :glare: My first try out with a crankbait, I'm trying to learn the technique.

We tried 2 more spots in the area, before we settled on a GEM aka HOT HOTSPOT.

There were a few reasons this spot seemed promising. There was the narrow canal that led WAYYY up the lake (prime spawning ground for all species). There were also the EIGHT (8) hawks at one spot in the area! I've always noticed birds indicate good fishing grounds. Sometimes they lead me to the fish, other times I lead them! There were also the abundant loons right in our spot.

The reason this spot was hot was because the water was much warmer than the south side, and actually had nice weeds starting to grow. I believe this is the main reason the south side of lakes aren't productive (lower temperatures, less weed growth in general).

3 of us in the boat, for 30 minutes straight we caught a fish on almost each cast (all of us). For the next 30 minutes after that, I was getting a fish every 2 casts. The last 2 hours, every 4 or 5, and we decided to call it a day.

All 3 of us caught nice nice crappie there, it was a first time catching crappie for the other 2. I caught 3 crappie over a pound, and 6 total. They caught a combined 1 crappie over a pound, and 3 smaller ones.

I also caught my personal best bass on the lake, although I was not fishing for them. Largies. My 2 personal bests came within 5 casts!!! They were not fighters, but what a rush. They were OOS, but we were not fishing for them and I enjoyed catching them still, beats the heck outta dink perch.

They were biting glow in the dark 1/32 oz jigs with CRAPPIE tubes (pink body white streamers), and a tip of worm. The crappie and walleye was what we were targeting. I caught 9 bass at that spot, about 30 panfish, and 8 nice crappie.

What was incredible about this spot, was that the action did not die down for over an hour. Usually when I fish, once we get into some action (a few nice fish), it dies right down within 30 mins.

I never took pictures of any of the fish, I would have if I had the camera, it would of taken no longer for me to release the bass, they were outta the water to see them and promptly released.

If someone here frequents the Stoney Lake area I can help you out send me a PM.

Edited by Bass Killer

Hahaha very true! Next time, I'll be sure the camera's ready! And btw, those PB bass weren't anything huge by standards on the board, still under 4 pnds, but around the 3.5 pnd mark which is respectable for Stoney although I've seen 5+ pounders pulled out.

Hmm I think that may be the problem. We weren't even more than 8 ft :( Main problem is I still don't have a nice fish finder setup for the rental boats, so I've been doing it all by experience (not more than a few years) and instinct. I think that may be the reason I'm having trouble with walleye on these lakes. I'm strictly a cast fisherman with no electronics so far, it's done me nicely on bass perch crappie etc... but that's about it.

I'm sure I'd do better on other lakes for walleye, but it's quite tough considering they can be quite deep and I don't have a decent fish finder yet, but when I do get it, it will be all the sweeter. I'm getting pretty good at reading 10 feet depths and less.

I also thought that at this time of year the walleye should be quite shallow? We talked to some fishermen (who tend to be American and not Canadian on Stoney by the way most of my encounters) and they were cranking for walleye shallow but just got some nice bass.

I know Hell's Gate is supposed to be a nice walleye area, but without the electronics and never having caught a walleye myself, and my fishing buddies only catching them in shallows around sunset, I think I shouldn't focus on walleyes until I get the right electronics, and a horseshoe stuck up my rear.

I think I'd have a better chance catching them if I was targeting something else :)

Just a quick question, isn't that part of Stoney lake (Burleigh Falls) a sanctuary until May 16th. I'm not trying to cause trouble, just curious. I think I remember hearing this last year.

Cheers

Clarence