Canoe motor mounts

siwash

Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone has an opinion of, or experience with, the 'Old Town' canoe motor mounts or motor mounts in general for canoes. Are they worth the money? Can u actually mount a 2 or 3 hp motor on one? Do they create an imbalance in the boat if your cruising solo?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone has an opinion of, or experience with, the 'Old Town' canoe motor mounts or motor mounts in general for canoes. Are they worth the money? Can u actually mount a 2 or 3 hp motor on one? Do they create an imbalance in the boat if your cruising solo?

Thanks in advance!

:)

The Old Town motor mount should be robust enough depending on the weight of the motor. However, I think they were intended for much lighter electric trolling motors. Are they worth the money? is a question only you can answer. To me they are not and so I would fabricate my own mount (for an electric trolling motor). I may change my opinion if my mount breaks and leaves me stranded or motor on the bottom LOL!

Certainly the question of imbalance while traveling solo is difficult to answer due to so many variables. Most canoes tend to balance much better when the load is evenly distributed. Sitting in the back with a motor off the side is certainly not optimum and moving to the middle is not an option. You'll need to load up the front and sit off to the side to provide better balance. But doing so will make you more vulnerable to sudden changes in balance caused by waves, aggressive hook sets, etc.

In my opinion it all comes down to the weight of the motor and how you can reliably offset it.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I have an OldTown mount (post on kijiji I got mine used 1/2 price). I use an electric troller and a battery up front to keep the weight down.

My motor weights 18lbs, the newer motors with the "maximizer" technology to get more battery life are 28 or so lbs but its also 55lb thrust (I only have a 30lb).

With 2 people and a battery in my 16ft canoe I get 8km/h full speed. As long as you have a battery up front you'll be ok. Running a gas with a built-in tank will probably offset you too much if you don't have weight up front.

Edited by scugog

Side brackets can be used quite effectively on standard canoes with small gas motors.

Last week in Algonquin I used a side bracket and my 2hp Honda (27lb's) to save some time on the access lake.

Yes the canoe can become unbalanced but that's pretty easily fixed. (counterbalance ;) )

Thanks guys... they 4HP motor I am thinking of buying weighs 35lb and incorporates the gas tank into the motor. I can easily counter-balance with gear and/or ballast of some sort, I suppose.. I was just worried that a 4HP is too much power... i'll bet the canoe would plane!! lol! Suppose I don't have to gun it..

Thanks much and I will look for the mounts on the net before going new

I put a 2 h.p. Suzuki 2 stroke on the side mount of my Sportspal canoe and had no problems at all. Yes, when you get out of the canoe, it will flip over. You have to remove the motor before getting out or go backwards on to the shore and step out while supporting the motor.

I would be gentle with a 4 h.p. motor.

Well like i said earlier my 2hp 4s honda weights less then my trolling motor and one year it was the only motor i had (long story) but i put it on my 14ft grumman boat (tinny) with near 500lbs in it and i fished all year with it..it pushed it faster then u think..caught just as many fish if not more...i took friggin 4ever to get places though....lol......so on a side mount i would go as small as u can go and on a stern mount as big as u can go....i love my honda

Edited by bigpikemike