Must have flies?

hey all, i just started getting into fly fishing this year with my soon to be father-in-law and am looking for a little help putting together our arsenals.

we are looking to fish east of toronto mainly. we are planning on going to the ganny a couple times and maybe a trip west to the upper grand around fergus area.

any help on fly selection for the areas and time of year to use them would be greatly appreciated, we are making a trip to bass pro tomorrow to pick'em up.

thanks in advance,

AA.

For flies, I’m primarily a steelhead guy but some patterns that I’ve caught both steelhead and resident browns (which I almost always have in my fly box) include:

- Size 8-10 black woolly buggers

- Size 6-10 stoneflies

- Various nymph patterns (prince, mayfly, hex, PT, etc)

- Caddis pupae

Don’t overlook some of the streamer patterns like:

- Zonkers or Matukas (I’ve got into a good number of browns on these on the Ganny)

If you’re going to BassPro to get your flies, talk to Gord in the fly shop. Back in the day when he worked at Pollacks, he set me up with my first fly box for steelhead a good number of years ago.

Hope this helps

Here is a link to some hatch charts for the waters you were planning on hitting. They may help in narrowing down what insects the fish will be feeding on at a given time.

http://www.discoverflyfishing.ca/hatch-charts

Best advice I can give is to get some screen and some 1 x 2 lumber from a hardware store and make up something that resembles a small cradle. Hold it upright against bottom and have the father in law stir up the bottom about ten feet upstream. Once the water clears, check the screen to see whats on it, then use whatever is in your fly box that most resembles the bugs you found in the water.

Good luck.

Various buggers and nymphs are definitely essential as mentioned. Streamers like muddler minnows and mickey finns are also a great choice.

I tie my own flies 90% of the time, but when I don't I deal with www.reelflies.ca. The prices are unbeatable and the quality is quite good. It's also nice dealing with someone local. I'd highly recommend buying a kit of flies from them to get started.

thanks a ton for all the great info guys, i am going to register with that discoverflyfishing website in a moment. also the www.reelflies.ca website looks great and great prices compared to what i just bought at bass pro today.

any and all tips/links to resources are greatly appreciated as i am pretty much a total noob when it comes to fly fishing.

Where are yo from

If your from TO. Lets head out. I usually guide on the grand (fergus to Inverhaul) but also like fishing the eastern residents.

Dave

dave,

i would love to get out on the water with someone that knows what's going on. i could use all the pointers i can get :blush: i am from pickering and work at Pearson and play volleyball once a week in cambridge so i get around quite a bit. eastern or western doesn't matter to me. i work shift work though so the days i work are hard to explain but predictable. weekdays are typically better because i only get 1.5 weekends off a month. feel free to pm with what you have in mind and we can work out an outing :Gonefishing:

thanks again all,

AA.

thanks a ton for all the great info guys, i am going to register with that discoverflyfishing website in a moment. also the www.reelflies.ca website looks great and great prices compared to what i just bought at bass pro today.

any and all tips/links to resources are greatly appreciated as i am pretty much a total noob when it comes to fly fishing.

dave,

i would love to get out on the water with someone that knows what's going on. i could use all the pointers i can get :blush: i am from pickering and work at Pearson and play volleyball once a week in cambridge so i get around quite a bit. eastern or western doesn't matter to me. i work shift work though so the days i work are hard to explain but predictable. weekdays are typically better because i only get 1.5 weekends off a month. feel free to pm with what you have in mind and we can work out an outing :Gonefishing:

thanks again all,

AA.

If your in Cambridge you should go fish the Bond Tract of Mill Creek this month. Its a bit more technical because of the size of the creek but a beautiful setting and Way underutiziled since the take off of the Grand River Fishery