The Steelhead Gods are Telling me it’s Time to Quit

MJL

With all the carp reports on here as of late, I was undecided on what I wanted to do today. Along with steelhead, carp are my other passion in life.

This afternoon I hit up one river for a few hours to see if I could get into at least 1 more chrome bar of whoop-ass before finally retiring my steelhead kit for the spring season.

Fished a few deep pools without luck and continued walking along the river. My only company for today was a chunky black squirrel which followed me everywhere (literally)…I think he wanted to get some of my almonds – I caught him going into my backpack trying to steal a granola bar. Continued walking (and walking some more) until I found a deep quiet pool. I lugged around 2 outfits with me today

1 – 13’6” float rod

2 – 7’ medium action spinning rod (for tossing spinners)

Tried a few of my spinners without luck. I rigged up my float rod and put a live worm on the hook and within 5 drifts I hook into one. It tail-walks and darts around a few boulders – Even jumped almost as high as my head once. I managed to land it – Another person nearby took a picture for me

DSCN0014d.jpg

Walked further downstream and found another pool. I tossed a spinner upstream and retrieved with the current. On my 4th cast, a fish smashes it.

Somewhere inside is a size 2 Mepps

DSCN0015.jpg

The fishing in general was a little slow. I hooked and landed 4 bows during my time out (all around 4-7lbs). Also got into a couple salmon parr. Being the crazed nut who’s “last cast” is always the cast after the next cast, I do my “last cast for the day”…Float goes down and I hook a small bow about 3lbs on a small pink worm…Unfortunately it comes undone after 10 seconds or so.

OK…Officially the last cast for real this time

Cast out…Drift….Drift…Drift a little longer…Drift a little bit longer…Float goes down…FISH ON!

The steelhead gods are telling me it’s best to end on a high note and it’s time to switch it up. DSCN0022.jpg

I almost forgot how much of a handful carp are when you don’t have a net…Which I forgot at home this time…

My steelhead season has mostly come to an end. I might do a trip or two to the Niagara for steelhead when my family decides to go over to Buffalo for some shopping – They drop me off at the river. For the immediate future, it’s hair rigs, bite alarms, rod pods, swingers, spods, boilies, feeders and 160lbs worth of corn :thumbsup_anim:

Hello carp 2009

Hope you enjoyed

NICELY DONE BRO. BUT THE STEEL HUNT NEVER ENDS . WELL NOT UNTIL BASS OPENER ATLEAST LOL

So true but the carp fishing should be on fire very soon...As in at the end of this sentence...Period :lol:

Plus I gotta regain all that weight that I lost from walking the tribs and lugging around a heavy wading jacket...Carp fishing can be quite sedentary and almost too relaxing. It's my form of recuperation after a long season of steelheading.

Not time to quit, just need to carry more gear lol This time of year I struggle.....fish for trout and see carp everywhere, next time I take the trout gear and I see the trout jumping......argh! Great report Mike, look forward to your carp reports. You heading out this way anytime soon?

Not time to quit, just need to carry more gear lol This time of year I struggle.....fish for trout and see carp everywhere, next time I take the trout gear and I see the trout jumping......argh! Great report Mike, look forward to your carp reports. You heading out this way anytime soon?

Hey Carole...If I get the car, hopefully I'll be out your way one night during this week - I'll let you or Cliff know if I'm coming down. Just gotta prep some of my ultra-secret bait B)

Very nice report pal! Some good looking chrome played to hand.

Are you not concerned about grit or sand getting into your reel in this shot?

Actually that shot with the reel in the sand was more of an accident. Not shown is my line wrapped twice around a tree near the tip of the rod.

Not overly concerned with an Islander getting dirty (On the other hand I do baby my AngSpec a little). With my Islander, I've fallen into mud with it, dropped it by accident at the beach, dropped it into the river, etc. Islanders are easy to clean out - All you need to do is take a coin, pop the center screw (don't lose it), take a rag and wipe off the spool and backplate. I don't think I've ever touched the bearings or actually had to clean them in the years I've owned the reel.

Not overly concerned with an Islander getting dirty (On the other hand I do baby my AngSpec a little). With my Islander, I've fallen into mud with it, dropped it by accident at the beach, dropped it into the river, etc. Islanders are easy to clean out - All you need to do is take a coin, pop the center screw (don't lose it), take a rag and wipe off the spool and backplate. I don't think I've ever touched the bearings or actually had to clean them in the years I've owned the reel.

That's good info. Thanks pal. :)

Guest gbfisher

I wanna see a fish like you have in your avatar caught on a Pin TS.

May pick one up myself. MAYBE!....lol

Stole Pondos set up and caught my first with a purple egg sucking leach.... :D

Told ya it would work Pondo. :lol: and THANKS!

Nice Carps. Its getting to that time again. Bowhunting season. :thumbsup_anim: