Night Fishing the St.Clair !

Lunker777

Hey everyone...

Well my buddy Stover and I decided to try the big river last night for some Eyes.... Well, all I can say for my first night fishing experience was it was awesome !

We were fishing in roughly 20' FOW about 90-100 yards from shore.

We were using a new technique to me... Chugging... We have a three was swivel... 18" down was a 3oz pencil weight.... then off the back we had a 6' line to a pencil plug, off the back of the pencil plug another 6' of line tied to a rapala husky jerk.

It was an interesting way to do things hahah a lot of line to get tangle, but if your careful, with the 2 of us on board. it went very smoothly.

I'm curious.... for the guys that fish with this technique.... Where can you buy chugging rods ??? I don't see them anywhere... I have the BPS catalog and Ive looked and found nothing.

As far as action goes.... Stover landed 1 good size walleye and had a few bites.... I on the other hand came up short ahah Oh well, it was more for the learning experience last night than anything... Now I know what to expect next time !

I didn't get any pics really.... nothing to be to excited about..... Well... The Lake freighters going by a few hundred yards away it pretty sweet... I must say !

Well... Time to go work on the boat ! Have a good day folks !

Tyler

I'm not sure what part of the river you were fishing - but I've seen chugging rods + pencil plugs a the Gander mountain store in Port Huron. Never used them myself but I'm told once you get the hang of it it can be very productive. Hand lining is said to work well also.

I'm not sure what part of the river you were fishing - but I've seen chugging rods + pencil plugs a the Gander mountain store in Port Huron. Never used them myself but I'm told once you get the hang of it it can be very productive. Hand lining is said to work well also.

Yea Stover was telling me about a time he went out himself and caught 8 fish in about 30 minutes... I think its still early in the season... and the water was pretty muddy if that makes a difference !

I'll have to get to the Gander mountain then... his rod and reel combo was about $100.