NF - Excellent and Perfect new camera for.......

Canon has come out with a new camera. When I saw it on one of the UK fly tying message boards, I just fell in love with it.

The name is - Canon PowerShot D10 Digital Camera - 12.1 mega pixels - $399.95.

It is waterproof to 33 feet, freeze proof to -10 degrees C and shockproof to 3 feet.

I have a Canon D80 and I like it a lot. But I am tempted to buy this D10. I would not have to keep the camera in double Ziploc bags. I would keep the D10 around my neck and when wading a stream fishing and be ready to take a PIC when the moment came up. No more Ziploc bags. Would not know what to do with my Canon D80 camera if I were to buy the new D10.

Henry's is taking pre-orders and they are giving $20.00 off - I guess it is a sale.

Here is the complete info from Vistek. Vistek provides the best documentaion on products - better than what the maker does. In this case, better than Canon.

http://www.vistek.ca/store/DigitalCameras/...tal-camera.aspx

Here is what the camera looks like -

242927_1.jpg

242927_2.jpg

carp-starter

I've been through a few cameras in teh last couple years. Spending time outdoors seems to be hard on them. My latest is an Olympus Stylus 1030SW.

10.1 mega pixels

3.6 optical zoom

Digital image stabalization

water proof to 33 feet

shock proof from 2 meters (that is key)

good to -10

and is crush resistant to 100kg.

Costs 350-400 i think. Images are pretty good but the zoom kinda sucks. When you by a rugged camera you have to sacrafice picture quality a little. Still once you learn to use it you can still get good photos.

-Dave

One of the things I like about Canon is the lens element quality. I'd make sure they haven't given anything up in that department with this camera.

I like to carry an inexpensive river/boat cam just in case it takes a bath. The current one was a freeby with an HP printer. It shoots 8 megs and something like 10-1 optical zoom, but is a throwaway all the same. Back when I was doing a lot of diving I tried UW photography and it came with a big price tag. I flooded a flash unit once at 80' in Grand Cayman (a relatively cheap one) and it cost me $400 US to replace it on site. Water is hell on batteries and high tech circuitry. Salt water is instant death.

I'm wondering whether the waterproof feature has a lot of tradeoffs in image quality. But that being said, the technological advances in digital photography are great.

JF