spinnerbait tip

jat

This is probably a reach, but is there any chance that adding that little bit of plastic (surgical tubing) might disrupt the water flow or the lure weight enuf to change the performance of the lure? Some of the poorer quality brands it might not be so noticeable, but with the better quality (tuned) units I would always be wondering if the dynamics have been affected.

We're told that the knot is so important with certain lures (the loop with rapalas) so why shouldn't this get the same kind of consideration?

That being said those open loop lures are sure a pita to use sometimes.

JF

2 years ago on the Pike opener, I was throwing a big colorado bladed spinner bait that was open like that. About 3 casts in, I lost the lure. Of course it was brand new too...lol. Apparently, the snap on my titanium leader was so big that the blade and all slipped through it. Ever since then, I use a small split ring on all my open spinner baits.

Personally, I don't believe it has a great effect on the lures action. Not anymore than using a snap would anyway.

Yes, tubing works pretty good. I've done it to quite a few.

The other (easier) solution is to wrap the line around the "eye" of the spinnerbait 3 - 4 times, then tie your knot.

(so your line is wrapped around the wire 3-4 times)